Movement of electron in an nonuniform E and B fields

In summary: My apologies for the confusion.In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of a long cylindrical anode and a coaxial cylindrical cathode with a heating current. The goal is to find the smallest potential difference between the cathode and anode that will allow for thermoelectrons with zero initial velocity to reach the anode. Equations of motion and energy conservation laws are used to derive the solution. One proposed solution is different from the textbook solution, but it appears to be correct based on dimensional analysis.
sergiokapone

Homework Statement

The system consists of a long cylindrical anode of radius [itex]a[/itex] and a coaxial cylindrical cathode with radius [itex]b[/itex] ([itex]b <a[/itex]). On the axis of the system has a thread with a heating current [itex]I[/itex],
creates in the surrounding magnetic field.
Find the smallest potential difference between the cathode and anode, whereby thermoelectrons with zeros initial velocity will reach the anode.

Homework Equations

Equations of motion
$$\ddot{x} = \frac{e}{m}\frac{Ux}{r^2\ln{b/a}} - \frac{e}{mc}\dot{z} B_y$$
$$\ddot{y} = \frac{e}{m}\frac{Uy}{r^2\ln{b/a}} + \frac{e}{mc}\dot{z} B_x$$
$$\ddot{z} = \frac{e}{mc}(\dot{x} B_y - \dot{y} B_x)$$
and
$$\vec B = \frac{2I}{cr^2}(-y\hat e_x + x\hat e_y )$$

The Attempt at a Solution

From equation for [itex]\ddot z[/itex]I found
$$\dot z = \frac{2eI}{mc^2}\ln{\frac{r}{b}}$$
Near anode:
$$\dot z(r=a) = \frac{2eI}{mc^2}\ln{\frac{a}{b}}$$

From the Energy conservation law:
$$\frac12 m v_a^2 = eU$$

I get
$$U = \frac{2eI^2}{mc^4}\ln^2{a/b}$$

The solution in textbook is differ from above:
$$U = 2\frac{e}{m} \frac{I^2}{c^2}\ln a/b$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi know nothing about the subject, but I can see that your answer, with c4 in the denominator, is dimensionally wrong. You should be able to find an error by going through your working to find where a dimensional inconsistency crept in.

Dimention of charge from [itex]ma = q^2/r^2[/itex]
$$q^2 = \frac{g\cdot cm^3}{c^2}$$
Dim of U is [itex]q/cm[/itex]
Thus
$$\frac{q}{cm} = \frac{q\cdot q^2}{c^2\cdot g} \frac{c^4}{cm^4} = \frac{q\cdot \frac{g\cdot cm^3}{c^2}}{c^2\cdot g} \frac{c^4}{cm^4}.$$

It seems, with dimension everything ok.

sergiokapone said:
Dimention of charge from [itex]ma = q^2/r^2[/itex]
$$q^2 = \frac{g\cdot cm^3}{c^2}$$
Dim of U is [itex]q/cm[/itex]
Thus
$$\frac{q}{cm} = \frac{q\cdot q^2}{c^2\cdot g} \frac{c^4}{cm^4} = \frac{q\cdot \frac{g\cdot cm^3}{c^2}}{c^2\cdot g} \frac{c^4}{cm^4}.$$

It seems, with dimension everything ok.
You've lost me completely with that analysis. Can you express all of these variables in the standard M, L, T, Q dimensional notation?
E.g. your ma=q2/r2 looks like it translates to MLT-2=Q2L-2, which is clearly not true.
What is g?

sergiokapone said:
I get
$$U = \frac{2eI^2}{mc^4}\ln^2{a/b}$$
This looks correct.
The units seem to check out (cgs system), although I don't follow your unit analysis in post #3.

haruspex said:
You've lost me completely with that analysis. Can you express all of these variables in the standard M, L, T, Q dimensional notation?
E.g. your ma=q2/r2 looks like it translates to MLT-2=Q2L-2, which is clearly not true.
What is g?

Ok. I use cgs units
Unit of square of charge
$$Q^2 = \frac{M\cdot L^3}{T^2}$$
Dimension of U in cgs is [itex]QL^{-1}[/itex]
Thus
$$\frac{Q}{L} = \frac{Q\cdot Q^2}{T^2\cdot M} \frac{T^4}{L^4} = \frac{Q\cdot \frac{M\cdot L^3}{T^2}}{T^2\cdot M} \frac{T^4}{L^4}.$$

sergiokapone said:
Unit of square of charge
Ok, I am guessing that this is a quantum analysis trick that fixes some physical constant which, to most physicists, has dimension, as a dimensionless 1, thereby deriving a translation between dimensions which would conventionally be taken as independent. E.g. c=1, so L=T, or something like that.

sergiokapone said:
Ok. I use cgs units
Unit of square of charge
OK. One thing that confused me in post #3 was your use of ##c## to apparently denote seconds. You wrote ##q^2 = \frac{g \cdot cm^3}{c^2}##

TSny said:
OK. One thing that confused me in post #3 was your use of ##c## to apparently denote seconds. You wrote ##q^2 = \frac{g \cdot cm^3}{c^2}##
Yes, sorry :sorry:. [itex]c[/itex] is the seсond, but in cyrillic notation, I forgot.

sergiokapone said:
[itex]c[/itex] is the seсond, but in cyrillic notation, I forgot.
Ah. Interesting.

1. What is the difference between a uniform and nonuniform E and B fields?

Uniform E and B fields have constant magnitudes and directions throughout the space, while nonuniform fields have varying magnitudes and directions in different regions of space.

2. How does a nonuniform E and B field affect the movement of electrons?

A nonuniform E and B field can cause the electrons to accelerate and change direction as they move through the field. The strength and direction of the field will determine the magnitude and direction of the acceleration.

3. What is the role of electric and magnetic forces in the movement of electrons in a nonuniform E and B field?

The electric field exerts a force on the electrons due to their charge, while the magnetic field exerts a force due to their motion. These forces work together to influence the path and speed of the electrons in a nonuniform field.

4. How do the trajectories of electrons differ in a nonuniform E and B field compared to a uniform one?

In a uniform E and B field, the electrons follow a straight path at a constant speed. In a nonuniform field, the electrons experience acceleration and their trajectories may curve or spiral depending on the strength and direction of the field.

5. Can a nonuniform E and B field be used to manipulate the movement of electrons for practical applications?

Yes, nonuniform E and B fields have many practical applications such as in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and cathode ray tubes. These fields can be used to control and manipulate the movement of electrons for various purposes.