Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving charge in gravitational field.

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    An accelerated charge particle radiates. So, in the light of principle of equivalence, does a charge particle also radiate when it is in a gravitational field? Sorry if the question doesn't make any sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2
    I would say no, because "acceleration" really means "proper acceleration". A box with a rocket on the bottom is the same as a box on the Earth because they both exhibit non-zero proper acceleration. If the box and the person inside are both being acted on by a graviational field and in free-fall, you can't tell that you're accelerating.

If the particle is following a geodesic, I don't believe it will radiate.

4. Jun 23, 2012 #3
    we've had some good long threads about this, search the archive here at PF to read through them.

5. Jun 24, 2012 #4
    I thought so but somehow couldn't find. :(...Would you have some time to lead to those?

Edited to add: I found one: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=65767 . Any other would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  6. Jun 24, 2012 #5

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook