• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Moving from Chemistry into Chemical Engineering

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Chemist125
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I'm almost finished my BSc degree in Chemistry in the UK and I'd like to move into Chemical Engineering.

My options are:

MSc Process Engineering;
PhD Chemical Engineering;
BEng in Chemical Engineering at the Open University.

Which route do you guys think is best?

Are there alternatives for me?

Answers and Replies

I would go for the PhD.

it's just personal choice I guess, I'm studying chemical engineering already

turbo
Gold Member
Hi,

I'm almost finished my BSc degree in Chemistry in the UK and I'd like to move into Chemical Engineering.

My options are:

MSc Process Engineering;
PhD Chemical Engineering;
BEng in Chemical Engineering at the Open University.

Which route do you guys think is best?

Are there alternatives for me?
What are your options regarding employment? 30 years ago, the pulp and paper industry was riding high here, and if you had an advanced degree in process control, chemical engineering, or chemistry, you could be practically assured of decent long-term employment at a good wage. If you are going to spend more time and money pursuing an advanced degree, it would be a good idea to balance the cost of that time and money against the possible gains that the advanced degree would give you in the work-force. Good luck!

No point in doing a BEng if you already have a BSc, and the MEng is fast becoming industry standard so even if you were to spend three or four years doing a BEng you'd still be quite limited in what jobs you can apply for.

Since the MEng is still an undergraduate degree, although it is at masters level, the logical conclusion is either the MSc or the PhD.

The MSc in process engineering will probably be accredited by the IChemE so with that you'll be on equal footing with MEng Chemical Engineering graduates.

I can't really see any point in doing a PhD if you merely want to change your line of work from chemistry into chemical engineering.

No point in doing a BEng if you already have a BSc, and the MEng is fast becoming industry standard so even if you were to spend three or four years doing a BEng you'd still be quite limited in what jobs you can apply for.

Since the MEng is still an undergraduate degree, although it is at masters level, the logical conclusion is either the MSc or the PhD.

The MSc in process engineering will probably be accredited by the IChemE so with that you'll be on equal footing with MEng Chemical Engineering graduates.

I can't really see any point in doing a PhD if you merely want to change your line of work from chemistry into chemical engineering.

Thank you for your opinion.