Moving from Chemistry into Chemical Engineering

In summary: I'll go for the MSc. In summary, the best route for an expert summarizer is the MSc in process engineering.
Chemist125
Hi,

I'm almost finished my BSc degree in Chemistry in the UK and I'd like to move into Chemical Engineering.

My options are:

MSc Process Engineering;
PhD Chemical Engineering;
BEng in Chemical Engineering at the Open University.

Which route do you guys think is best?

Are there alternatives for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go for the PhD.

Deathcrush said:
I would go for the PhD.

What's your reasoning?

it's just personal choice I guess, I'm studying chemical engineering already

Chemist125 said:
Hi,

I'm almost finished my BSc degree in Chemistry in the UK and I'd like to move into Chemical Engineering.

My options are:

MSc Process Engineering;
PhD Chemical Engineering;
BEng in Chemical Engineering at the Open University.

Which route do you guys think is best?

Are there alternatives for me?
What are your options regarding employment? 30 years ago, the pulp and paper industry was riding high here, and if you had an advanced degree in process control, chemical engineering, or chemistry, you could be practically assured of decent long-term employment at a good wage. If you are going to spend more time and money pursuing an advanced degree, it would be a good idea to balance the cost of that time and money against the possible gains that the advanced degree would give you in the work-force. Good luck!

No point in doing a BEng if you already have a BSc, and the MEng is fast becoming industry standard so even if you were to spend three or four years doing a BEng you'd still be quite limited in what jobs you can apply for.

Since the MEng is still an undergraduate degree, although it is at masters level, the logical conclusion is either the MSc or the PhD.

The MSc in process engineering will probably be accredited by the IChemE so with that you'll be on equal footing with MEng Chemical Engineering graduates.

I can't really see any point in doing a PhD if you merely want to change your line of work from chemistry into chemical engineering.

Shaun_W said:
No point in doing a BEng if you already have a BSc, and the MEng is fast becoming industry standard so even if you were to spend three or four years doing a BEng you'd still be quite limited in what jobs you can apply for.

Since the MEng is still an undergraduate degree, although it is at masters level, the logical conclusion is either the MSc or the PhD.

The MSc in process engineering will probably be accredited by the IChemE so with that you'll be on equal footing with MEng Chemical Engineering graduates.

I can't really see any point in doing a PhD if you merely want to change your line of work from chemistry into chemical engineering.

Thank you for your opinion.

1. What is the main difference between chemistry and chemical engineering?

Chemistry is the study of matter and its properties, while chemical engineering is the application of chemistry principles to design and operate processes that transform raw materials into useful products. While chemists focus on understanding the nature of substances on a molecular level, chemical engineers use this knowledge to develop large-scale processes for manufacturing products on an industrial level.

2. What skills or knowledge from my chemistry background will be useful in chemical engineering?

A strong foundation in chemistry is essential for a successful transition into chemical engineering. Concepts such as thermodynamics, kinetics, and material properties are all relevant to chemical engineering. Additionally, skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and laboratory techniques learned in chemistry courses are also valuable.

3. What are the career opportunities for chemical engineers compared to chemists?

Chemical engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, energy, and materials. Chemical engineers are also highly sought after in fields such as environmental remediation, waste management, and biotechnology. While chemists typically work in research and development or analytical roles, chemical engineers have a broader range of job options and can also move into management positions.

4. Will I need to pursue further education or training to become a chemical engineer?

While a bachelor's degree in chemistry can provide a strong foundation for chemical engineering, most employers prefer candidates with a master's degree in chemical engineering. This degree will provide you with the necessary technical knowledge and skills to excel in the field. Additionally, some employers may require you to obtain a Professional Engineer (PE) license, which typically requires passing an exam and gaining a certain amount of work experience.

5. How can I prepare for a career in chemical engineering while still studying chemistry?

To prepare for a career in chemical engineering, it is essential to take courses in subjects such as thermodynamics, transport phenomena, and process design. You can also seek out internships or research opportunities in chemical engineering-related fields to gain hands-on experience. Additionally, considering joining a professional organization, such as the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, to network and learn more about the field.