Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving limits in and out of functions

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    When is the following equivalence valid?

$$\lim_{x \to a} f(g(x)) = f(\lim_{x \to a} g(x))$$

I was told that continuity of f is key here, but I'm not positive.

This question comes up, for instance in one proof showing the equivalence of the limit definition of the number e to the definition of the inverse of the natural logarithm.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's the key. Try comparing ##\lim_{x \to 0} f(g(x))## against ##f(\lim_{x \to 0} g(x))## with ##g(x)=x## and ##f(x)=0\,\forall\,x\ne 0,\, f(0)=1##.

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the specific example.

Can you prove (or point me to the proof) of the general case?

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4
    That's one very reasonable definition of continuity.

6. Sep 17, 2013 #5
    If you are using the [itex]\epsilon - \delta[/itex] definition of continuity, then the idea is that eventually [itex]x_n[/itex] will be within to [itex]x[/itex] and so [itex]f(x_n)[/itex] will be withi in [itex]\epsilon[/itex] of [itex]f(x)[/itex]. But this is exactly what it means for [itex]f(x_n)[/itex] to converge to [itex]f(x)[/itex].

7. Sep 23, 2013 #6
    What exactly do you mean by the sequence [itex]x_n[/itex] here?

8. Sep 23, 2013 #7
    Interesting. But how would you show that this definition is equivalent to, for example, the epsilon-delta definition?

9. Sep 23, 2013 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If [tex] \lim_{x\to a} g(x) [/tex] exists, and f(x) is continuous, then the statement is true. If [tex]\lim_{x\to a} g(x)[/tex] does not exist, then the right hand side does not make sense as written, so the statement cannot be true, and if f(x) is not continuous then the statement is not true by DH's example.

As for showing that [tex]\lim_{x\to a} g(x) = L[/tex] implies that [tex] \lim_{x\to a} f(g(x)) = L[/tex] when L is continuous, you should just slam it with epsilons and deltas until it works - I don't think there's a particularly clever trick

10. Sep 23, 2013 #9

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose that ##f## is continuous at ##x## in the epsilon-delta sense. Let ##\epsilon > 0##. Then there is a ##\delta > 0## such that ##|f(y) - f(x)| < \epsilon## for all ##y## satisfying ##|y - x| < \delta##. Let ##(x_n)## be a sequence converging to ##x##. Then there is an ##N## such that ##|x_n - x| < \delta## for all ##n > N##. Thus for all ##n > N## we have ##|f(x_n) - f(x)| < \epsilon##. We can do this for any ##\epsilon > 0##, so this means that ##f(x_n) \rightarrow f(x)##.

Conversely, suppose that ##f(x_n) \rightarrow f(x)## for any sequence ##(x_n)## such that ##x_n \rightarrow x##. Let ##\epsilon > 0##. We claim that there is a ##\delta > 0## such that ##|f(y) - f(x)| < \epsilon## whenever ##|y - x| < \delta##. Suppose this were not the case. Then it must be true that for every ##\delta > 0##, there is some ##y## satisfying ##|y - x| < \delta## but ##|f(y) - f(x)| \geq \epsilon##. Let ##(\delta_n)## be any sequence of positive numbers converging to zero. Then we can find a sequence ##(x_n)## satisfying ##|x_n - x| < \delta_n## and ##|f(x_n) - f(x)| \geq \epsilon##. The conditions ##|x_n - x| < \delta_n## and ##\delta_n \rightarrow 0## imply that ##x_n \rightarrow x##, so our hypothesis implies that ##f(x_n) \rightarrow f(x)##. But this contradicts ##|f(x_n) - f(x)| \geq \epsilon##.

11. Sep 23, 2013 #10
    Ahh... Thank you for the detailed proof! I was able to use the ideas from your proof to prove the result in my original post (basically the exact same proof, but mine involved a function ##g(x)##, whereas yours involved the sequence ##\{x_n\}##)

Anyway, thanks again! And thanks to everyone else :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook