Moving objects on water (floating solar panel)

In summary, Alan is seeking help for his project of creating a floating solar panel product. He is currently in the calculation stage and needs to know how to ensure the product can float and withstand wind. He also needs to calculate the velocity and distance of the product when it is hit by wind on both calm and moving water. The size, weight, and weight distribution will play a crucial role in the design of the product.
Arsland95
Dear all member,
Im alan, and i need some help,,,
Did you guys know about floating solar panel? So, I am going to make a product that will float and can support the solar panel (20kg). And know I am in the calculation stage, so i need to know, that my product can :
1. Float
2. How much weight of my product, so it can hold still or move a little when it hit by wind?
3 . How to calculate the (velocity and distance) of the product , when it hit by wind. Either on a calm water of moving water, thanks so much ☺️

Im sorry for my English tho,

P.s : please see my attached file

Attachments

• 51707277-A8A2-460D-A81F-0C03B9F09308.jpeg
    51707277-A8A2-460D-A81F-0C03B9F09308.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 731
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arsland95 said:
How to calculate the (velocity and distance) of the product , when it hit by wind. Either on a calm water of moving water, thanks so much ☺️

As a minimum, floating objects travel at the speed of the water currents. Tidal currents or any other currents.

A flat object that does not extend far above the surface won't be pushed much by wind. However, it is highly likely to be lifted off the water or flipped over in strong winds and high waves.

The size and weight and distribution of weight are important. Think of it as designing a boat.

Likes Arsland95 and sophiecentaur

What is a floating solar panel?

A floating solar panel is a type of solar panel that is designed to float on water instead of being installed on land. It consists of photovoltaic (PV) panels that convert sunlight into electricity, and a floating structure that keeps the panels afloat.

How do floating solar panels work?

Floating solar panels work similarly to traditional land-based solar panels. The PV panels absorb sunlight and convert it into electricity, which is then sent to an inverter to be converted into usable AC power. The main difference is that the floating structure allows the panels to be installed on bodies of water, such as lakes, reservoirs, and even oceans.

What are the benefits of using floating solar panels?

There are several benefits to using floating solar panels. Firstly, they make use of otherwise unused bodies of water, freeing up land for other purposes. They also reduce water evaporation, which is beneficial for drought-prone areas. Additionally, the cooling effect of the water can improve the efficiency of the panels, leading to higher energy production. Lastly, floating solar panels can be easily moved or expanded as needed.

What are the challenges of using floating solar panels?

One of the main challenges of using floating solar panels is the potential impact on the surrounding ecosystem. The shading effect of the panels can affect aquatic plants and animals, and the materials used in the panels and floating structures can leach into the water. Proper environmental impact studies and mitigation measures should be taken into consideration when installing floating solar panels.

Are floating solar panels cost-effective?

The cost-effectiveness of floating solar panels depends on various factors, such as the location, size of the installation, and the cost of land vs. water. In some cases, floating solar panels can be more cost-effective than land-based installations, especially in areas with high land prices. However, the maintenance and installation costs may be higher due to the unique design and installation requirements of floating solar panels.