Moving point and it's distance relative to a fixed point

In summary, the problem asks for the rate of change of the distance between a point P and a car traveling at 30 meters/second along the x-axis. The distance is defined as r and can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. The solution involves considering r as a function of x and using the given value for dx/dt. The angle is not necessary for finding the rate of change.
Hercuflea
Not sure whether this is an intro physics or intro calculus/related rates problem.

1. Homework Statement

Suppose a point P lies at (x,y)=(0,1) meters.

A car is traveling at 30 meters/second along the x-axis towards +∞.

Define r to be the distance between P and the car at any time t.

I need to know the rate of change of the distance between P and the car with respect to time (dr/dt) ?

Homework Equations

Pythagorean theorem...I attached a picture

Attached my attempted solution...tried 2 methods. I do not know what θ(t) or dθ/dt is so that's why I haven't been able to get it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached[/B]

Attachments

• RelatedRates.png
    RelatedRates.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 420
  • RelatedRatesAttempt.png
    RelatedRatesAttempt.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the angle. Just think of r as a function of x. (You know what dx/dt is.)

Doc Al said:
Forget the angle. Just think of r as a function of x. (You know what dx/dt is.)
Thanks. I got it now. Sometimes I just get one track minded and forget to think about other ways of looking at it.
Solution:
v = the velocity
x = horizontal component of r

$$ r^2 = x^2+1^2 $$
$$ r = \sqrt(x^2 +1) $$
$$\frac {dr} {dt} =\frac {1} {2} \frac {1} {\sqrt(x^2 +1)}\frac {d} {dt} (x^2 +1) $$
$$ =\frac {1} {2} \frac {1} {\sqrt(x^2 +1)} 2x \frac {dx} {dt} $$
$$ =\frac {xv} {\sqrt(x^2 +1)} $$

Since $$ x(t)=x_0+vt$$
we have $$\frac {dr} {dt} = \frac {v(x_0+vt)} {\sqrt((x_0+vt)^2 +1)} $$

and also $$r(t) = \sqrt(x^2 +1)= \sqrt((x_0+vt)^2+1)$$

Last edited:

1. What is a moving point and its distance relative to a fixed point?

A moving point is a point in space that is constantly changing its position. Its distance relative to a fixed point refers to the distance between the moving point and a point that does not change in position.

2. How is the distance between a moving point and a fixed point calculated?

The distance between a moving point and a fixed point can be calculated using the distance formula, which is: d = √((x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2), where (x1, y1) represents the coordinates of the fixed point and (x2, y2) represents the coordinates of the moving point.

3. What is the significance of understanding the distance between a moving point and a fixed point?

Understanding the distance between a moving point and a fixed point is important in many scientific fields, such as physics and astronomy. It helps us determine the motion and trajectory of objects, as well as calculate important measurements and values.

4. Can the distance between a moving point and a fixed point change?

Yes, the distance between a moving point and a fixed point can change as the moving point changes its position. The distance can either increase or decrease depending on the direction of the movement.

5. Are there any real-life applications of understanding the distance between a moving point and a fixed point?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of understanding the distance between a moving point and a fixed point. For example, it is used in navigation and GPS systems to determine the distance between a moving object (such as a car) and a fixed point (such as a destination). It is also used in sports, such as determining the distance between a baseball player and a base.