1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence Convergence & Fixed Point Theorem

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let g(x)= (2/3)*(x+1/(x^2)) and consider the sequence defined by pn= g(pn-1) where n≥1

a) Determine the values of p0 [itex]\in[/itex] [1,2] for which the sequence {pn} from 0 to infinity converges.

b) For the cases where {pn} converges (if any), what is the rate of convergence?

2. Relevant equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_theorem

Fixed Point Theorem

attachment.php?attachmentid=58589&stc=1&d=1368037754.png

3. The attempt at a solution

For part a, my answer is that ANY point p0 between 1 and 2 will converge, because the sequence satisfies the fixed point theorem.

g(x) exists on [1,2] and is continuous
    g'(x) = (2/3)(1-2/(x^3)) exists and is continuous on [1,2]

There is a positive constant k<1 for which |g'(x)|≤k

By plotting g'(x), i found k = 2/3

Therefore, the fixed point theorem is satisfied, and so should the answer be "any value of p0 from 1 to 2 will cause the sequence to converge"?

For part b, I am not sure how to find the rate of convergence. I heard that you have to take the taylor series expansion, but I am not sure. Any help? Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that shows it converges throughout the interval.
    For the rate, let p be the fixed point and x be small. If the rate of convergence is a then g(p+x) is approximately p + ax, i.e. the error gets multiplied by factor a at each step. Take the Taylor expansion of g at p, just the first two terms, and see what that simplifies to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted