MSc in Theoretical (Mathematical) Physics,KCL vs Edinburgh

In summary: Hi all,I have an offer to do an MSc in QFFF at Imperial or an MSc in Mathematical Physics at Edinburgh, or (with luck) an MSc in Theoretical Physics at Kings College London (KCL).Technically, QFFF is the best (i.e most reputable) course - but I have heard very bad things about how it's been taught recently, and really don't think it's a good idea.So between Edinburgh and Kings College London, what's my best bet? (as someone who will have a BSc in Physics with Theoretical Physics, should be on a decent 1st, and is aiming to
bananabandana
Hi all,

I have an offer to do an MSc in QFFF at Imperial or an MSc in Mathematical Physics at Edinburgh, or (with luck) an MSc in Theoretical Physics at Kings College London (KCL).

Technically, QFFF is the best (i.e most reputable) course - but I have heard very bad things about how it's been taught recently, and really don't think it's a good idea.

So between Edinburgh and Kings College London, what's my best bet? (as someone who will have a BSc in Physics with Theoretical Physics, should be on a decent 1st, and is aiming to do a PhD). Edinburgh has stronger REF results, but it's student satisfaction (overall, I don't know for this course) is much poorer...

Basically, does anyone have any experience of these courses and could let me know what they're like? / If you had a PhD application from someone on one of these, which would you pick, all things being equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you thing you're not going to like it, for sure you won't. Kings College London is probably the best, and it's harder to get admitted there. Maybe the level is higher, but learning requires just that.

I received an offer for the MSc Theoretical Physics at KCL and have applied to Imperial (QFFF), Edinburgh (MSc Theoretical Physics), Durham (MSc Particles, Strings and Cosmology) and LMU (MSc Theoretical and Mathematical Physics).

I always thought that the QFFF course is the best, because Imperial wants a First, while KCL accepts 2:1. Also Imperial is ranked the highest, being in the top 20 worldwide, while KCL is just in the top 100 when it comes to physics or maths.

Considering I want to do a PhD with a focus on string theory, possibly in the US, which course would be my best choice, considering the reputation and the research quality of the different departments?

Have you made a decision?
I am in the same position and wondering what may have influenced you.

(and perhaps I will study with you this year!)

kika_ said:
Have you made a decision?
I am in the same position and wondering what may have influenced you.

(and perhaps I will study with you this year!)
Hey - haha well... as a physicist, it's my duty to warn you that's a bad basis on which to make a decision :)
Otherwise, I'm going to be heading up north to Edinburgh!

Haha of course not! I am just wondering if you have any insight that helped you choose Edinburgh over KCL?

Thank you, and congrats on your choice :)

Sure - well, if anything I think King's might have a shade on Edinburgh course wise as 'Wastrophysicist' points out - it's been going for longer, and they (guess it's obvious since they have John Ellis) have more stuff on supersymmetry and strings. But then supposedly Imperial is better than all three, and I'd completely disagree with that. Flat out no.

However, it's (I'm told) a small course - only six people or so - and I decided that was just too small for me. (Personally, I like having different people to bounce ideas off). Other than that, I felt after three years of London that I could do with a change (London is awesome - and I will miss it - but you need a change every now and then, I reckon).

If you've got any specific questions though, feel free to ask!

Likes kika_
bananabandana said:
Sure - well, if anything I think King's might have a shade on Edinburgh course wise as 'Wastrophysicist' points out - it's been going for longer, and they (guess it's obvious since they have John Ellis) have more stuff on supersymmetry and strings. But then supposedly Imperial is better than all three, and I'd completely disagree with that. Flat out no.

However, it's (I'm told) a small course - only six people or so - and I decided that was just too small for me. (Personally, I like having different people to bounce ideas off). Other than that, I felt after three years of London that I could do with a change (London is awesome - and I will miss it - but you need a change every now and then, I reckon).

If you've got any specific questions though, feel free to ask!

Six people?! Hard to believe it is so small - that's not enough! I somehow have a similar opinion about the Imperial program but not sure how I formed it.. ha. Do you know what subfield you want to study? The course selection in Edinburgh seems to be more varied in a way that suits me - but I have contacted faculty at KCL I would prefer to study with. So am a little stuck.

May I ask about living in London? I am a little deterred from living there as opposed to Edinburgh. (Coming from Canada.. am used to space and outdoors :p). Did you live close to your University? Are there nice parks, and/or is it easy to get out of town?

Many thanks!

Unsure if either of you is still considering ICL. A friend is currently studying physics there, so I can ask him about his experience of the quality of instruction if it would help your decision.

Likes jkurzweil and kika_
PetSounds said:
Unsure if either of you is still considering ICL. A friend is currently studying physics there, so I can ask him about his experience of the quality of instruction if it would help your decision.

Yes, if you wouldn't mind! I would love to know the students impressions of courses and faculty.

I appreciate your help :) !

kika_ said:
Yes, if you wouldn't mind! I would love to know the students impressions of courses and faculty.

I appreciate your help :) !

For reference, I'm at ICL :P

Likes kika_
To people in ICL, how are you guys funding the course?

1. What is the difference between the MSc in Theoretical (Mathematical) Physics programs at KCL and Edinburgh?

The main difference between the MSc programs at KCL and Edinburgh is their focus. The MSc program at KCL emphasizes theoretical physics and mathematical methods, while the program at Edinburgh offers a more general overview of theoretical and experimental physics. Additionally, the specific courses and research opportunities may vary between the two programs.

2. Which university has a better reputation for MSc in Theoretical (Mathematical) Physics?

Both KCL and Edinburgh have strong reputations in the field of theoretical physics. KCL is known for its research in theoretical physics, while Edinburgh is known for its interdisciplinary approach and connections to other fields such as astronomy and cosmology. Ultimately, the choice between the two will depend on your own research interests and career goals.

3. What are the entry requirements for the MSc in Theoretical (Mathematical) Physics programs at KCL and Edinburgh?

The entry requirements for both programs are similar, but may vary slightly. Generally, a bachelor's degree in a relevant subject (such as physics or mathematics) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. Some programs may also require specific courses or a certain level of mathematical proficiency. It is important to check the specific requirements for each program before applying.

4. How long does it take to complete the MSc in Theoretical (Mathematical) Physics at KCL and Edinburgh?

The MSc programs at both KCL and Edinburgh typically take one year (or two semesters) to complete. However, some programs may offer a part-time option that takes two years to complete. It is important to check the specific program's duration before applying.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing an MSc in Theoretical (Mathematical) Physics at KCL or Edinburgh?

Both KCL and Edinburgh have strong reputations in the field of theoretical physics, which can open doors to various career opportunities. Graduates may pursue careers in research, academia, or industry. Some may also choose to pursue a PhD in theoretical physics or a related field. Ultimately, the career opportunities will depend on the individual's interests, skills, and experience.