MSN Messenger connection problem

• Thread starter zpidermen
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, I've MSN Messenger 7.x but I can't connect anymore. I'm behind the Windows Firewall (which I temporarely have disabled) and I'm connecting to the internet with a router, which has a built-in firewall. Can somebody help? Please.

Answers and Replies

As you have posted that you cannot connect to it anymore, I assume that you could once, so that there is nothing wrong with the installation. Try running the in-build function to find errors. If it is something wrong with your installation you could always upgrade to a higher version. It might also go away by itself (that is, a problem with their network) or you may have malicious programs on your computer. This is all I can do with the little information you have provided.

-Job-
Science Advisor
I think MSN Messenger 7.x can connect through HTTP if its ports aren't open, like many other messengers do, so it might not be a firewall issue.

Evo
Mentor
Do you have Windows Messenger also running, it could be running in the background. This happened to a friend of mine and he had to kill Windows Messenger in order for MSN 7 to start running again.

I think MSN Messenger 7.x can connect through HTTP if its ports aren't open, like many other messengers do, so it might not be a firewall issue.
What do you mean? The destination port on the MSN Server *can* be 80?

I would check your username and password first..

-Job-
Science Advisor
That's right, i think Microsoft exposes a web interface, accessible through port 80, to their Messenger server, so when MSN Messenger's ports aren't available it can use this interface to send/receive messages.