Msn messenger is the best messenger

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary: THE BEST. period.ICQ has the advantage that it's not a Microsoft product. (and it's not an AOL product!) :biggrin:i don't know what icq actually is... but i know people are just numbers... and that seems too weird. so..... msn, duh.
I use msn, but some of my friends are switching to Google Talk. Any of you used it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Knavish said:
I use msn, but some of my friends are switching to Google Talk. Any of you used it?

hmm, no... damn, another messenger eh... i'll test that one later. still waiting on icq... don't make me talk to strangers!

I used to use these things all the time, but have not in quite a while. I used trillian, as it is a pain to have 3/4 different messengers open.

mattmns said:
I used to use these things all the time, but have not in quite a while. I used trillian, as it is a pain to have 3/4 different messengers open.
ya, i have gaim to access all my messengers at once as well. actually, mostly the only stuff i have on my computer is messengers, window stuff, and adaware... hmm...

Gale17 said:
293451403 that's my new icq number, someone talk to me on it. i will compare...
My first ICQ number was something like 135. :biggrin:

Evo said:
My first ICQ number was something like 135. :biggrin:
hahaha, i was wondering about that. so apparently they're just given out numerically eh... hah.

Gale17, may I suggest Gaim:

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/about.php

It supports all the major networks + more.

Gale17 said:
hahaha, i was wondering about that. so apparently they're just given out numerically eh... hah.
Yep, I was one of the first members. One of the developers kept bugging us to try out this new thing they had just created that they named ICQ.

Hurkyl said:
ICQ has the advantage that it's not a Microsoft product. (and it's not an AOL product!) :biggrin:

I just tried ICQ and I would have to say...crap! nothing but bloatware...

edit:
uninstalled well though...which is a good thing. :smile:

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
ICQ has the advantage that it's not a Microsoft product. (and it's not an AOL product!) :biggrin:

I don't know if you heard but Microsoft is in advanced talks to purchase a significant portion of AOL.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/15/146243&from=rss

Clippy: I looks like you've got mail. Would you like me to open all your attachments?

dduardo said:
Clippy: I looks like you've got mail. Would you like me to open all your attachments?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I just tried ICQ and I would have to say...crap! nothing but bloatware...

FYI, there's an ICQ lite. It's actually been many years since I used ICQ, so I don't really know what it's like these days.

Hurkyl said:
FYI, there's an ICQ lite. It's actually been many years since I used ICQ, so I don't really know what it's like these days.

That is what I tried... :yuck:

dduardo said:
Gale17, may I suggest Gaim:

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/about.php

It supports all the major networks + more.
heh i already said i use gaim...

but you i wasn't so impressed with icq... i like my msn. on icq i could write my aim buddies though... so the connection with aol there...?

Gale17 said:
heh i already said i use gaim...

but you i wasn't so impressed with icq... i like my msn. on icq i could write my aim buddies though... so the connection with aol there...?

Ek, I should have seen that. It is a little late, my bad.

aim: easy, fast, best looking client but has annoying ads sometimes.

msn: made by microsoft, not many use it except foreigners imo, and uhhh yea

icq: oldschool chat that nobody uses anymore, long numbers are annoying, ugly interface and overcomplicated

therefore i use aim

Knavish said:
I have it, and one of my friends has it, but no one really uses it that I know of, so no one else is on.

I like iChat (!), by Apple, I use it for GoogleTalk and AIM. I use MSN because some of my friends are on it, but don't like it at all . :mad: :frown: :grumpy:

Hurkyl said:

Actually AOL bought out mirabilis a few years ago, so it is an AOL product.

Yeah, iChat is fine. It's nice and small and discrete, doesn't have any ads, easy to use, and supports multiple networks. That said, I never use IM programs these days, except to talk to my roommate when I don't want to yell (she uses Trillian, finally renouncing the Dead AIM she always used). I haven't even seen an ICQ interface since the 90s.

noooooooo!

Hurkyl said:
noooooooo!

What's eating you?

Mk said:
I like iChat (!), by Apple, I use it for GoogleTalk and AIM. I use MSN because some of my friends are on it, but don't like it at all . :mad: :frown: :grumpy:
I have iChat, but never use it because I don't know anyone else who has it. I had AIM years ago, and gave up on it because it never seemed to work right (my friend and I would both be online emailing each other back and forth, and stupid AIM wouldn't show either of us as online...rapid-fire email works almost as well). I know more people who use MSN, but it seems every time I go to use it, they've changed something and I need to upgrade again, so I gave up on that too. I have Yahoo messenger installed, and it's okay. I used it once to chat with Cronxeh. I guess none of them work very well when I don't bother turning them on. :redface: I've never grown very fond of any of those IM things...the limit on number of characters you can type at a time is annoying; I can't communicate with just one sentence at a time. It's only a little faster than just emailing back and forth (unless you have a server that prevents you from checking for new email more frequently than once a minute...had an account set up like that ages ago).

Kakarot said:
aim: easy, fast, best looking client but has annoying ads sometimes.

msn: made by microsoft, not many use it except foreigners imo, and uhhh yea

icq: oldschool chat that nobody uses anymore, long numbers are annoying, ugly interface and overcomplicated

therefore i use aim
Strange, AOL bought ICQ, the original ICQ is now AIM. I wonder what this ICQ is? I refused to use ICQ after AOL bought it, as many did. So, what you know as AIM, is what I used as ICQ.

AOL sharpens ICQ ambitions
Published: June 16, 1999, 11:50 PM PDT

A year ago, America Online paid $287 million for ICQ, a product with 12 million users but no revenue. A year later, its popularity has nearly trebled, but it's still not clear whether ICQ was a good buy.

ICQ, instant messaging and chat software created by four Israeli 20-somethings, had achieved cult-like status among users around the world when AOL snapped it up

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-227245.html?legacy=cnet

I don't use any instant messaging programs. I only signed up for ICQ because one of the people involved kept asking. I hated the constant interruptions and kept it turned off unless someone nagged me to turn it on for awhile.

Last edited:
I like MSN IM. Much better than AIM, which has a crappy interface (BTW) and AOL is just bad alltogether

I hate msn messenger, the games on there suck too. They try to include way too many graphical aspects. When I want to play chess, i don't want to wait for a while just for it to load and then turn out to look like complete crap anyway.

AIM's interface is simple, does the job. Everything is there, while in msn's interface, a lot of features that I use are missing, it somehow works worse too.

BTW, I use AIMutation.

EDIT: Honestly, I like trillian, because I can talk to my msn buddies...but I think if everyone used aim, it would be the best. Google talk may turn out to be good too.

Last edited:
I just installed Adium last night and it looks pretty good. It's customizable in pretty much every way I want it to be, allowing me to use a completely minimalist interface with no icons, no smilies, and no graphics - just text and a status light. (Of course, if you like that other stuff, it let's you use them.) The advantage over iChat is that it supports more networks and can be customized in more ways. The disadvantage - and this seems to be a disadvantage with all these open-source IM programs - is that it doesn't support video or audio chat, but I can always use SILC for that.