1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multi-electron eigenfunction problem

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Prove that any two different nondegenerate bound eigenfunctions [itex]\psi[/itex]j(x) and [itex]\psi[/itex]i(x) that are solutions to the time-independent Schroedinger equation for the same potential V(x) obey the orthogonality relation

[itex]\int[/itex]-∞ [itex]\psi [/itex]j*[itex]\psi[/itex]i(x)dx=0

"

2. Relevant equations
    I believe I have to find equations for which both eigenfunctions are solutions?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm lost on how to get the problem started. I cannot think of any eigenfunctions to use. I might be putting more thought to it than I need to though.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the key is that they are eigenfunctions. But I think you're supposed to prove the orthogonality in the general sense, rather than use specific examples of eigenfunctions.

Suppose that [itex] \psi_a(x) [/itex] and [itex] \psi_b(x) [/itex] are eigenstates of the operator [itex] O [/itex], with corresponding eigenvalues [itex] a [/itex] and [itex] b [/itex] respectively.

[tex] O \psi_a(x) = a \psi_a(x) [/tex]
    [tex] O \psi_b(x) = b \psi_b(x) [/tex]

Now consider each of these cases:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} [O \psi_a(x)]^* \psi_b(x)dx = \ \ ???[/tex]

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*_a(x) [O \psi_b(x)]dx = \ \ ???[/tex]

I'll let you take it from there. :wink:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook