Multi-electron eigenfunction problem

In summary, two different nondegenerate bound eigenfunctions that are solutions to the time-independent Schroedinger equation for the same potential V(x) obey the orthogonality relation \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi_j^*(x) \psi_i(x)dx = 0. In order to prove this, one must consider each case of eigenstates and their corresponding eigenvalues and use the definition of orthogonality to show that the integral is equal to zero.
RIPCLB

Homework Statement

"Prove that any two different nondegenerate bound eigenfunctions [itex]\psi[/itex]j(x) and [itex]\psi[/itex]i(x) that are solutions to the time-independent Schroedinger equation for the same potential V(x) obey the orthogonality relation

[itex]\int[/itex]-∞ [itex]\psi [/itex]j*[itex]\psi[/itex]i(x)dx=0

"

Homework Equations

I believe I have to find equations for which both eigenfunctions are solutions?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost on how to get the problem started. I cannot think of any eigenfunctions to use. I might be putting more thought to it than I need to though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the key is that they are eigenfunctions. But I think you're supposed to prove the orthogonality in the general sense, rather than use specific examples of eigenfunctions.

Suppose that [itex] \psi_a(x) [/itex] and [itex] \psi_b(x) [/itex] are eigenstates of the operator [itex] O [/itex], with corresponding eigenvalues [itex] a [/itex] and [itex] b [/itex] respectively.

[tex] O \psi_a(x) = a \psi_a(x) [/tex]
[tex] O \psi_b(x) = b \psi_b(x) [/tex]

Now consider each of these cases:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} [O \psi_a(x)]^* \psi_b(x)dx = \ \ ?[/tex]

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*_a(x) [O \psi_b(x)]dx = \ \ ?[/tex]

I'll let you take it from there. :wink:

Last edited:

1. What is the multi-electron eigenfunction problem?

The multi-electron eigenfunction problem is a fundamental problem in quantum mechanics that involves solving for the wavefunction of a system containing multiple interacting electrons. This problem arises when studying the behavior of atoms, molecules, and solids, and is essential for understanding their electronic structure and properties.

2. Why is the multi-electron eigenfunction problem difficult to solve?

The multi-electron eigenfunction problem is difficult to solve because the wavefunction of a system with multiple interacting electrons cannot be expressed analytically. Instead, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution, which can be computationally intensive and time-consuming.

3. What are some approaches to solving the multi-electron eigenfunction problem?

One approach to solving the multi-electron eigenfunction problem is the Hartree-Fock method, which approximates the many-electron wavefunction as a single Slater determinant. Another approach is the configuration interaction method, which takes into account the effects of electron correlation by including multiple Slater determinants in the wavefunction.

4. How does the solution of the multi-electron eigenfunction problem relate to chemical bonding?

The solution of the multi-electron eigenfunction problem is crucial for understanding chemical bonding. The wavefunction of a molecule contains information about the arrangement of electrons and their energies, which directly influences the molecule's bonding behavior and stability.

5. What are some applications of solving the multi-electron eigenfunction problem?

The multi-electron eigenfunction problem has numerous applications in chemistry, materials science, and other fields. It is used to predict the properties of molecules and solids, such as their electronic structure, reactivity, and optical properties. It is also essential for developing new materials and understanding chemical reactions at the molecular level.