1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formal properties of eigenfunctions

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give a physicist's proof of the following statements regarding energy eigenfunctions:
    (a) We can always choose the energy eigenstates E(x) we work with to be purely real
    functions (unlike the physical wavefunction, which is necessarily complex). Note: This does not mean that every energy eigenfunction is real, rather if you fi nd an eigenfunction that is not real, it can always be written as a complex linear combination
    of two real eigenstates with the same energy.

Hint: If E(x) is an energy eigenstate with energy eigenvalue E, what can be said about E(x)
    ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having a hard to deciphering here what is warranted I show in this problem. Does anyone know what this is trying to get at. Maybe my mathematical experience with proofs is getting in the way because I'm trying to do it more generally.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The hint is probably that it satisfies the Schrodinger equation. Can you show that the real and imaginary parts satisfy the equation separately? Show this wouldn't be true if the eigenvalue were not real.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted