Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple Bootscreen Problem

1. Nov 18, 2003 #1
    Hi Guys,

I decided I wanted to have the option of choosing between a few bootscreens upon startup of win xp. I downloaded some bootscreens, and renamed them, then put them into c:\windows\system32 as I was told to. I then went and backed up my boot.ini file, just in case. Then altered it, as told to. Where by I create a startup menu in the [operating system] section of the ini file, this is what I have:

Code (Text):

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional: Crap Edition" /fastdetect /kernel=ntoscrap.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional: Jupiter Edition" /fastdetect /kernel=ntosjupiter.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional: Galaxy Edition" /fastdetect /kernel=ntosgalaxy.exe

The menu turns up as I wanted it. The problem is that whatever choice I make, the original bootscreen ALWAYS appears. Now i have looked all over the net, and everywhere says to do it the way I have, why the hell is it not working?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2003 #2
    Ok, I misread your post and thought you were having trouble switching between OS's, and not just the boot screen.

All I know about this subject is the way I alter my own boot screen in XP; by single replacement only. Windows File Protection will defeat attempts to replace the ntoskrnl.exe in the System32 folder unless you perform the swap in Safe Mode.

Here is a link to a utility and instruction on one method, just in case it might be of use. I tried something similar once but found that it interfered with the ability of DriveImage to perform properly.

http://www.extrememhz.com/winxpcust-p2.shtml

PS, I’d enjoy a link to the site where you were receiving instruction.

4. Nov 19, 2003 #3
    Actually most of the info is explained the best at the website for a book I have. Visit the website at:

http//www.oreilly.com/catalog/winxphks

5. Nov 19, 2003 #4
    Well, I can't get this method to work for me either. Below is a site that details the procedure, which is quite straitforward and simple but just doesn't seem to work. I even disabled Windows File Protection While trying to make this work, all to no avail. It is certainly an easy matter to replace ntoskrnl.exe with another boot-executable of the same name, but I don't think the method being described works. Maybe it's the Pre SP1 and post SP1 business that is preventing it from working.

http://www.diabloworld.com/forums/archive/topic/33553-1.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2003
  6. Nov 19, 2003 #5
    Yeah, the SP1 bit could be the problem. I tried replacing the ntoskrnl file and it worked fine, so atleast I know it can be done. I'll keep looking around I guess.

*EDIT*

Well the problem wasn't SP1 afterall. It was the filenames, they were to long. I shortened them a bit, and voila, it works!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?