1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple Bootscreen Problem

1. Nov 18, 2003 #1
    Hi Guys,

I decided I wanted to have the option of choosing between a few bootscreens upon startup of win xp. I downloaded some bootscreens, and renamed them, then put them into c:\windows\system32 as I was told to. I then went and backed up my boot.ini file, just in case. Then altered it, as told to. Where by I create a startup menu in the [operating system] section of the ini file, this is what I have:

Code (Text):

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional: Crap Edition" /fastdetect /kernel=ntoscrap.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional: Jupiter Edition" /fastdetect /kernel=ntosjupiter.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional: Galaxy Edition" /fastdetect /kernel=ntosgalaxy.exe

The menu turns up as I wanted it. The problem is that whatever choice I make, the original bootscreen ALWAYS appears. Now i have looked all over the net, and everywhere says to do it the way I have, why the hell is it not working?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2003 #2
    Ok, I misread your post and thought you were having trouble switching between OS's, and not just the boot screen.

All I know about this subject is the way I alter my own boot screen in XP; by single replacement only. Windows File Protection will defeat attempts to replace the ntoskrnl.exe in the System32 folder unless you perform the swap in Safe Mode.

Here is a link to a utility and instruction on one method, just in case it might be of use. I tried something similar once but found that it interfered with the ability of DriveImage to perform properly.

http://www.extrememhz.com/winxpcust-p2.shtml

PS, I’d enjoy a link to the site where you were receiving instruction.

4. Nov 19, 2003 #3
    Actually most of the info is explained the best at the website for a book I have. Visit the website at:

http//www.oreilly.com/catalog/winxphks

5. Nov 19, 2003 #4
    Well, I can't get this method to work for me either. Below is a site that details the procedure, which is quite straitforward and simple but just doesn't seem to work. I even disabled Windows File Protection While trying to make this work, all to no avail. It is certainly an easy matter to replace ntoskrnl.exe with another boot-executable of the same name, but I don't think the method being described works. Maybe it's the Pre SP1 and post SP1 business that is preventing it from working.

http://www.diabloworld.com/forums/archive/topic/33553-1.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2003
  6. Nov 19, 2003 #5
    Yeah, the SP1 bit could be the problem. I tried replacing the ntoskrnl file and it worked fine, so atleast I know it can be done. I'll keep looking around I guess.

*EDIT*

Well the problem wasn't SP1 afterall. It was the filenames, they were to long. I shortened them a bit, and voila, it works!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?