Multiple Choice-Derivatives-Please Check?

• Thread starter Justabeginner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the conversation discusses the different forms of the derivative with respect to x, specifically focusing on which one is not equivalent to the others. The options are narrowed down to C and D, with the expert summarizer providing insight on why D is the incorrect choice. The incorrectness of E is also discussed, as it is only applicable to a limited class of functions. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of considering all options and making algebraic substitutions in order to arrive at the correct answer.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Which of the following is not the same as the derivative of y with respect to x, if y= f(x)?

(a) lim as [itex] Δx [/itex] -> 0 of [itex] \frac{Δy}{Δx} [/itex]
(b) lim as h--> 0 of [itex] \frac {f(x+h) -f(x)}{h} [/itex]
(c) lim as [itex] x_1 [/itex] -> x of [itex] \frac {f(x_1)-f(x)}{(x_1-x)} [/itex]
(d) lim as h-> 0 of [itex] \frac {f(x) - f(x-h)}{h} [/itex]
(e) lim as [itex] Δx-> 0 [/itex] of [itex] \frac {f(Δx)}{Δx} [/itex]
(f) lim as h-> 0 of [itex] \frac{f(x)- f(x+h)}{-h} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think C is the correct answer. I immediately ruled out a, b, and e by recognizing them as accurate forms. I thought F was wrong at first, but then I noticed that the original form was changed (negative sign), so that is why the h is negative in the denominator. As for D, I just thought it didn't seem right at all. To be honest, I thought D and C are both incorrect, but the question seems to be asking me for one incorrect answer. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
For C, I suggest you observe what happens if you let x1 = x+h.

For D, I suggest you observe what happens if you let x1=x-h.

I also suggest that you not immediately rule anything out, and try making substitutions and algebraic manipulations. Only one of these is incorrect, and you didn't seem to consider it.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your insight! I wouldn't have thought of it that way. Clearly, D is the right choice then.

No, D is a correct expression for the derivative. Replace h with -h in that expression to see why (the limit is double sided so this is allowed). Take another look at E.

Justabeginner said:
Thank you so much for your insight! I wouldn't have thought of it that way. Clearly, D is the right choice then.

No,

For D, let x1=x-h.

Okay, I was able to rule out C with your help via algebraic manipulation.
As for A and B, I think that both are standard forms of the derivative, so I will put that aside for now.
For D, I understand now how the -h makes it work.
E: I think I should replace Δx with x + h ?
Then it would make the expression be f(x+h)/(x+h), which I think is wrong.
F: I still think f is correct.

Thank you!

You are right that E is not a correct form for the derivative. Why are you replacing Δx with x+h though?

Last edited:
Justabeginner said:
Okay, I was able to rule out C with your help via algebraic manipulation.
As for A and B, I think that both are standard forms of the derivative, so I will put that aside for now.
For D, I understand now how the -h makes it work.
E: I think I should replace Δx with x + h ?
Then it would make the expression be f(x+h)/(x+h), which I think is wrong.
F: I still think f is correct.

Thank you!

For E, instead of a replacement, I suggest you observe the claim it is making.

Basically, I think you'll agree that E hinges on the idea that:

(Delta)f(x) = f((delta)x)

But, remember that delta x is just the difference between two x's. So let's replace delta x with (x1-x2).

Delta f(x) = f(x1-x2)

Or

f(x1)-f(x2) = f(x1-x2)

But, that is merely a property of linear functions, not any function. So E is only true for a very limited class of functions, those with a constant slope.

Sorry for no latex, sent from phone. Hope this helps.

Your explanation was so clear. Thank you so much 1MileCrash. I truly appreciate it.

HS-Scientist said:
You are right that E is not a correct form for the derivative. Why are you replacing Δx with x+h though?

That was a idiotic thing I did, which I only realized after I'd written it. Delta x is the change in x, but I wrote this instead. I do understand the concept of delta x though.

You're welcome, good luck. :)

Thanks! :)

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are financial instruments that derive their value from an underlying asset, such as a stock or commodity. They are used to manage risk and speculate on future price movements.

2. How are derivatives traded?

Derivatives are primarily traded on exchanges, such as the Chicago Mercantile Exchange or the New York Stock Exchange. They can also be traded over-the-counter between two parties.

3. What is the purpose of multiple choice in derivatives?

Multiple choice in derivatives allows traders to choose from a variety of strike prices and expiration dates for their options contracts. This gives them more flexibility in managing their risk and making speculative bets.

4. How do I calculate the value of a derivative?

The value of a derivative is calculated using mathematical models, such as the Black-Scholes model, which takes into account factors such as the underlying asset's price, time to expiration, and volatility.

5. Are derivatives risky?

Derivatives can be risky, as their value is based on the performance of an underlying asset. However, when used properly, they can also help manage risk and provide opportunities for profit. It is important to understand the risks and carefully consider your investment goals before trading derivatives.