Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple sclerosis

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1

Gold Member

I have some questions:(although I think there's no definitive answer for most of them)

1. What indivisuals are at increased risk ?
    2. Is there anyway to tackle the depression?(preferably other than drugs)
    3. Is there any hope for a definitive cure?

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

Multiple sclerosis is currently classified as an autoimmune disease, which means the body is attacking "self", rather than "non-self" like it should. MS is more prevalent in women, as I think most autoimmune diseases typically are, i.e., lupus. Studies have also shown that MS affects white people more than non-white and, as far as geography, appears to be most prevalent in areas closer to the poles, i.e., Scotland has one of the highest incidences reported.

As far as depression, this tends to go along with your third question in that currently there is no cure, only means of slowing disease progression. Future developments may change this, however at the moment we still don't know everything about the disease process which makes isolating a cure difficult. Treatment of depression would follow standard psychiatric/psychological methods of treatment, I don't believe that there is anything particular to MS that sets it apart for specialized treatment of depression. Drug free methods of dealing with depression should be as effective for MS as for any other condition which elicits a depressed state, this may depend heavily on the patient and his/her motivation/disease progression.
  4. Jan 6, 2006 #3

Gold Member

Thank you very much, DocToxyn!:smile:
    You know I also heard that it's more common among educated and active people! :bugeye:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?