Multiple universes, measurement and laws of nature

In summary: The "multiple universes" of the MWI are much less interesting than that :frown: (and the world would be a better place if decades back we had thought to use the less exciting term "multiple outcomes interpretation").
entropy1
Considering the multiple universe view, if a measurement (or something else) makes visible which universe we are in, is it then also possible we find ourselves in one with (slightly) different laws of nature?

Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
Considering the multiple universe view, if a measurement (or something else) makes visible which universe we are in, is it then also possible we find ourselves in one with (slightly) different laws of nature?
Not sure what you mean. We are in the universe we are in. There is zero evidence of the existence of other universes (the "multiverse") but if such do exist it is believed that there can be no causal connection between our universe and any other.

phinds said:
Not sure what you mean. We are in the universe we are in. There is zero evidence of the existence of other universes (the "multiverse") but if such do exist it is believed that there can be no causal connection between our universe and any other.
Maybe I am using the wrong terminology, and do I have to say: "Many worlds". I was inspired by this:
andrewkirk said:
When a measurement is made, we are not branching to create a new world, we are doing a test to find out which world we are in.
I don't know much at all about this. I have heard though things along the line as that 'quantum uncertainty' (what is that?) allows for virtually an infinite amount of universes. So I was thinking: could there be universes among them that are looking slightly or even entirely different with respect to laws of nature, and would these 'quantum uncertainties' allow for navigating towards these universes? I guess a different way to phrase this would be: 'do the laws of nature have to be fixed?'. May be far fetched, but I am incredibly curious!:wink:

Last edited:
I think the many worlds interpretations of QM are utter blather so I'm not the person to help you with this.

phinds said:
I think the many worlds interpretations of QM are utter blather so I'm not the person to help you with this.
I take no position in this. I am interested in the way QT sets boundaries on different approaches of conceptualising the phenomena in QM (preferably in a subjectivistic mathematical way).

entropy1 said:

No. The "multiple universes" of the MWI are much less interesting than that :frown: (and the world would be a better place if decades back we had thought to use the less exciting term "multiple outcomes interpretation").

All the post-measurement "universes" have to obey the same laws of physics because the only thing that's different between them is which way the wave function collapsed. The possible outcomes of the collapse were already in the pre-measurement wavefunction and obeying the laws of physics before the measurement.

Let's say I prepare an electron into the state that is spin-up along the z axis: ##|z_+\rangle##. Send it through a Stern-Gerlach device oriented along the z axis, and of course it is deflected upwards with 100% probability, there's only one possible outcome and no split. So now I send it towards a Stern-Gerlach device oriented horizontally, along the x-axis. I take advantage of the identity $$|z_+\rangle=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(|x_+\rangle+|x_-\rangle)$$ which makes it easy to calculate that half the time the measurement will be spin-up along the x-axis and half the time it will be spin-down. Either way the laws of physics stay the same - I just did a measurement and got a result, no reason to expect the laws of physics to start changing under me.

A collapse interpretation says that the wavefunction collapsed so that I end up in a universe (the same one I started in, and the only one) in which the post-measurement wavefunction is either ##|x_+\rangle## or ##|x_-\rangle##. MWI says that I end up in one of two post-measurement universes, differing only in that in one of them the post-measurement wavefunction is ##|x_+\rangle## and in the other it is ##|x_-\rangle##.

Likes bhobba

1. What are multiple universes?

Multiple universes, also known as the multiverse theory, is the idea that there are an infinite number of parallel universes existing alongside our own. These universes may have different physical laws, dimensions, and timelines, and may or may not contain versions of ourselves or alternate realities.

2. How are these multiple universes measured?

Currently, there is no way to directly measure or observe other universes. The concept of multiple universes is mainly theoretical and based on mathematical models and theories such as quantum mechanics and string theory. Some scientists are also exploring the possibility of using advanced technologies, such as particle accelerators, to indirectly gather evidence for the existence of other universes.

3. What is the role of laws of nature in the multiverse theory?

The laws of nature are considered to be constants in our universe and are used to explain and predict the behavior of matter and energy. In the multiverse theory, it is believed that these laws may vary in each universe, allowing for different physical properties and outcomes. This concept is still highly debated and has not yet been proven.

4. Are there any potential implications of multiple universes on our own existence?

Some theories suggest that the existence of other universes may have an impact on our own, such as the possibility of alternate versions of ourselves in different universes or the idea that our universe may have been created by the collision of two or more universes. However, these implications are still largely hypothetical and have not been scientifically proven.

5. How does the multiverse theory relate to the concept of time?

In some interpretations of the multiverse theory, time is seen as a dimension that can exist in different directions or even have multiple branches. This means that there could be versions of ourselves in other universes living in different time periods or experiencing different outcomes. However, the concept of time in relation to multiple universes is still a topic of debate and further research is needed to fully understand its role.