Is Chemistry the same everywhere?

• I
  • Thread starter .Scott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, although this paper is interesting, it is not likely to change the accepted understanding of the fine structure constant.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
Measurements made of quasars in certain directions across the universe seem to show variation in the fine structure constant.
A new article in Phys.org discusses a paper recently published in "Science Advances".
Although I am unable to find that article.

Professor Webb at USNW reports that there appears to be a gradient across the universe over which fine structure constant varies. (Wow!)

The electromagnetic force keeps electrons whizzing around a nucleus in every atom of the universe — without it, all matter would fly apart. Up until recently, it was believed to be an unchanging force throughout time and space. But over the last two decades, Professor Webb has noticed anomalies in the fine structure constant whereby electromagnetic force measured in one particular direction of the universe seems ever so slightly different.

Physics news on Phys.org
TeethWhitener said:

While not disputing any specific of this paper, this is just the kind of result that one might see in an initial study of some attribute of the early universe. Looking back that far requires a lot of assumptions, and has relatively few data points. I seriously doubt that many will look at this and be convinced that the fine structure constant itself varies as hypothesized.

Likes Klystron and TeethWhitener
The paper is here: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/17/eaay9672

• There is, as far as I know, only one group claiming this. It's based on combining a large number of measurements that other people made.
  • With more data, the result has become lesss significant, rather than more.
  • The significance is determined by their own method, not classical significance. The effect (this is an earlier paper with higher significance) does not look like 4.2 sigma to me.
webb.jpg

And even if this were true, the size of the effect (~1`0 ppm or a few 10's of ppm) would not make substantial changes to chemistry. (Of order 1% the difference between H and D)

Likes Dali and .Scott

Related to Is Chemistry the same everywhere?

1. Is the periodic table the same everywhere?

Yes, the periodic table is the same everywhere. It is a universal tool used by scientists to organize and categorize elements based on their properties and atomic structure.

2. Do chemical reactions occur in the same way everywhere?

Yes, chemical reactions occur in the same way everywhere. The laws and principles of chemistry, such as the law of conservation of mass and the law of definite proportions, apply universally and govern how elements interact with each other.

3. Are the properties of elements the same everywhere?

Yes, the properties of elements are the same everywhere. Elements have specific physical and chemical properties that are determined by their atomic structure and these properties remain constant regardless of their location.

4. Does the pH scale apply globally?

Yes, the pH scale is a universal scale used to measure the acidity or basicity of a substance. It applies globally and is a fundamental concept in chemistry.

5. Are the laws of thermodynamics the same everywhere?

Yes, the laws of thermodynamics are the same everywhere. These laws govern the transfer of energy and matter and are fundamental to understanding chemical reactions and processes.