1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multipole expansion. Problems with understanding derivatives

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to find the multipole expansion of

[tex] \Phi(\vec r)= \frac {1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int d^3 r' \frac {\rho(\vec r')}{|\vec r -\vec r'|}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Taylor series

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at a solution was to use the Taylor series. I tried to approach 1/|r-r'| around r'/r (that's what the task told me to, because r>>r').

I found the taylor series for [tex] \frac {1}{\sqrt{(1-x)}}[/tex]

Which I can use I guess for this problem, where my x is:
    [tex]2 \frac {\vec r\vec r'}{r^2} -\frac {r'^2}{r^2}[/tex]

so I get

[tex] \frac {1}{| \vec r - \vec r'|}= \frac {1}{r} \frac {1}{\sqrt{ 1- 2 \frac {\vec r \vec r'}{r^2} + \frac {r'^2}{r^2}}} [/tex]

But now I'm stuck. I don't know how to handle the derivates. Do I only have to derive the vector r' with nabla or r'^2 aswell?

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I understand your question, you will need to take partial derivatives of the r'2 term as well as the r##\cdot##r' term with respect to x', y', and z'. Just think of the argument of the square root as some function of x', y', and z'.

4. Jun 26, 2013 #3
    Use the vector form of Taylor Expansion i.e.
    f(x+h) = f(x) + (h.grad)f(x) + [(h.grad)^2]f(x) + ...

where x and h are vectors, grad is the usual gradient operator and "." indicates the dot product.

5. Jun 27, 2013 #4
    Thanks for your help. I know that this has something to do with Nabla, but I don't understand why I have to use Nabla here actually.

6. Jun 27, 2013 #5
    you just have to use the binomial expansion for the term which you got in op.Different higher order terms in r'/r represents monopoles,dipoles,quadrupoles etc.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  7. Jun 27, 2013 #6
    I think what you're referring to as nabla is what I call grad.

Just do the vector taylor expansion as I mentioned, this was the box standard thing to do back in electrodynamics exams. Oh, and use summation convention to make life easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted