Multivariable Functions - stationary points

In summary, snakeskin found the stationary points for the function f(x,y) by solving the equations fx=0 and fy=0 simultaneously.
hex.halo

Homework Statement

For:

f(x,y)=(x+y)/(x^2+2y^2+6)

Find the stationary points of f

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To find a stationary point the first partial derivative must equal zero, correct?

I've found the first partial derivatives using the quotient rule but my problem is, I can't rearrange them for y= or x= so I can substitute them into one equation and solve for x or y. What do I do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, what partial derivatives did you get? What are the equations you are trying to solve?

haha ENG1091? fx=2y^2-2xy+6-x^2 and fy=2y^2+4xy-6+x^2 n then you can put the two equations in quadratic form i.e. fx=(2)y^2-(2x)y+(6-x^2), where a=2, b=-2x and c=6-x^2. Then use the quadratic formula and u should get the value for x and then plug it into the equation u got after using the quadratic formula get y...

Last edited:
I have the partial derivatives:

fx(x,y)=(2y^2-2xy-x^2+6)/(x^2+2y^2+6)^2

fy(x,y)=(-2y^2-4xy+x^2+6)/(x^2+2y^2+6)^2

Now, for a stationary point, both these equations are equal to zero.

I then have to solve these simultaneously to find values for x, which will in turn give me values for y

snakeskin - I can see how you've put them in quadratic form and I tried to follow your directions with the quadratic formula, but I got lost. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

umm yeah u have to use the quadratic formula for both fx=0 and fy=0 and then u let them equal each other n then u'll have to simplify it which gets a bit tricky. if u use the quadratic formula for fx=0 u should get y=(x +/- (3x^2-12)^0.5)/2 and y=(-2x +/- (6x^2+12)^0.5)/2 for fy=0. When you let (x +/- (3x^2-12)^0.5)/2 = (-2x +/- (6x^2+12)^0.5)/2 you can simplify it to 3x= +/-(6x^2+12)^0.5 -/+(3x^2-12)^0.5. Here I separated the +/- so i get 2 equations to make it easier to handle i.e. 3x= +(6x^2+12)^0.5 -(3x^2-12)^0.5 and 3x= -(6x^2+12)^0.5 +(3x^2-12)^0.5. Now you have to square both sides of the equation and u should get (3x^2-12).(6x^2+12)=0 for both equations n from there u just plug the x value into the equation for y n that should be it... well that's what i did anyways

My first reaction to snakeskin's response was that it couldn't possibly be right- the derivative of a fraction is not a polynomial! But then I realized that he had discarded the (unnecessary) denominator.

You have
fx(x,y)=(2y^2-2xy-x^2+6)/(x^2+2y^2+6)^2= 0
and fy(x,y)=(-2y^2-4xy+x^2+6)/(x^2+2y^2+6)^2= 0 and the first thing you can do is multiply on both sides by the denominators to get 2y^2- 2xy- x^2+ 6= 0 and -2y^1- 4x+ x^2+ 6. Adding those two equations gives -2xy- 4x+ 6= 0 so x(2y+4)= 6 or x(y+ 2)= 3. You could then solve x= 3/(y+ 2) and replace x in either one of the first equations by that. For example, the first equation becomes 2y^2- 6y/(y+ 2)- 9/(y+2)^2+ 6= 0.

Multiplying by (y+ 2)^2 gives 2y^2(y^2+ 4y+ 4)- 6y(y+2)- 9+ 6(y^2+ 4y+ 4)= 0 which is the same as 2y^4+ 8y^3+ 8y^2- 6y^2- 12y- 9+ 6y^2+ 24y+ 24= 0 or 2y^4+ 8y^3+ 8y^2+ 12y+ 15= 0

HallsofIvy said:
Adding those two equations gives -2xy- 4x+ 6= 0 so x(2y+4)= 6 or x(y+ 2)= 3. You could then solve x= 3/(y+ 2) and replace x in either one of the first equations by that. For example, the first equation becomes 2y^2- 6y/(y+ 2)- 9/(y+2)^2+ 6= 0.

Multiplying by (y+ 2)^2 gives 2y^2(y^2+ 4y+ 4)- 6y(y+2)- 9+ 6(y^2+ 4y+ 4)= 0 which is the same as 2y^4+ 8y^3+ 8y^2- 6y^2- 12y- 9+ 6y^2+ 24y+ 24= 0 or 2y^4+ 8y^3+ 8y^2+ 12y+ 15= 0
I got 12-6xy=0 when I added the two equations together. Following the method, I got y^4 + y^2 - 2 = 0.

1. What are stationary points of a multivariable function?

Stationary points of a multivariable function are points where the partial derivatives of the function are equal to zero. These points are also known as critical points, where the function is neither increasing nor decreasing in any direction.

2. How do you find stationary points of a multivariable function?

To find stationary points, you must first take the partial derivatives of the multivariable function with respect to each variable. Then, set each partial derivative equal to zero and solve for the variables. The resulting values are the coordinates of the stationary points.

3. What is the significance of stationary points in multivariable functions?

Stationary points are important because they can tell us about the behavior of a multivariable function. They can indicate the presence of local maxima or minima, as well as saddle points where the function is increasing in some directions and decreasing in others.

4. How do you determine if a stationary point is a local maxima or minima?

To determine if a stationary point is a local maxima or minima, you must evaluate the second partial derivatives of the function at that point. If the second partial derivatives are positive, it is a local minimum, and if they are negative, it is a local maximum. If the second partial derivatives are both positive and negative, it is a saddle point.

5. Can a multivariable function have multiple stationary points?

Yes, a multivariable function can have multiple stationary points. In fact, most functions have multiple stationary points, unless they are linear. It is important to evaluate all stationary points to determine the overall behavior of the function.