Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariate and vector calculus

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone i'm just about to begin a course in multivariate and vector calculus
    what prior knowledge in maths is good to go over to help me along the way in this course?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Single Variable Calculus and Vectors >.<"

4. Feb 19, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am, by the way, a strong proponent of taking "multivariate and vector calculus" simultaneously with linear algebra.

5. Feb 20, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I know multivariable and vector calculus, but knowing of linear algebra >.<"

6. Feb 20, 2007 #5
    Yep i'm also taking linear algebra

7. Feb 20, 2007 #6

Sir

i'm about halfway through a multivariable and vectors course. we're about to start vectors, but for the multivariable part... know your integration. we've spent half a course so far in it.

8. Feb 21, 2007 #7
    This is good to hear. I'd say that multivariable calculus was one of the most fun courses I took in college. Anyway, to answer your question, obviously all the calculus you've learned thus far is useful. But if you want specifics, I'd pay careful attention to parametric equations, arc length, coordinate systems/transformations, and the basic techniques of integration. The advanced techniques of integration that you learned back in calculus 2 will be somewhat useful, but professors don't stress this very much in multivariable calculus (they figure that if you're in this class, then you've already had enough experience with the technique of integration). If you learned the basics of vectors in either algebra or calculus 2, then review these as well. Dot products, cross products, and vector addition are important in multivariable calculus. Also brush up on determinants, since this will be very useful in finding cross products, as well as the curl of a vector.

Well, that's all I can think of right now. Good luck!

9. Feb 21, 2007 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Interesting! Every textbook I've seen does it the other way around: first "vectors" (f:R-> Rn) and then, later, "multivariables" (f:Rn->R).

Of course, the really fun part would be f:Rm->Rn but that requires so much linear algebra that calculus courses don't normally touch it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?