1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariate Higher Order Derivatives

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]h(u,v) = f(u+v, u-v)[/itex]. Show that [itex]f_{xx} - f_{yy} = h_{uv}[/itex] and [itex]f_{xx} + f_{yy} = \frac12(h_{uu}+h_{vv}) [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm always confused on how to tackle these types of questions because there isn't an actual function to differentiate.
    So I am assuming here that x = u+v and y = u-v and going from there. So I need to find the first partial with respect to x, which might be something like [itex]f_x = \frac{\partial f}{\partial(u+v)}[/itex] since I need to get it in terms of u and v, but this doesn't seem right. What sort of approach do I need to use on these questions?

Edit: What I've done now is write [itex]h_{uv} = \frac{\partial}{\partial v}\frac{\partial h}{\partial u} = \frac{\partial}{\partial v} ( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial u} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial u}) =\frac{\partial}{\partial v} (\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}) [/itex]. I'm having trouble converting from u's and v's to x's and y's.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

[itex]u=\frac{x+y}{2} [/itex] and [itex] v=\frac{x-y}{2} [/itex] so [itex] f(x,y)=h(\frac{x+y}{2},\frac{x-y}{2}) [/itex]

So we have:

[itex]
    f_x=h_u u_x+h_v v_x \Rightarrow f_x=\frac{1}{2}h_u+\frac{1}{2}h_v [/itex]

[itex]
    f_{xx}=\frac{1}{2}(h_{uu}u_x+h_{uv}v_x+h_{vu}u_x+h_{vv}v_x)
    [/itex]

I think you can continue yourself.

4. Dec 3, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For thinking about these things it's sometimes good to think about the operators without worrying about the functions. Define, for example, ##\partial_u(F)=\frac{\partial F}{\partial u}##. Then wouldn't it be true that ##\partial_u=\partial_x+\partial_y## and ##\partial_v=\partial_x-\partial_y## from the chain rule? It can save you a lot of texing and even spare some confusion. It's kind of the same as your underscore notation for partial derivatives.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted