Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariate piecewise fxn continuity and partial derivative

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    1. Problem

Define a function:

for t>=0, f(x,t) = { x for 0 <= x <= sqrt(t), -x + 2sqrt(t) for sqrt(t) <= x <= 2sqrt(t), 0 elsewhere}

for t<0 f(x,t) = - f(x,|t|)

Show that f is continuous in R^2. Show that f_t (x, 0) = 0 for all x.

Then define g(t) = integral[f(x,t)dx] from -1 to 1. Show g(t) = t for |t|<1/4, and hence g'(0) != integral[f(x,0)dx] from -1 to 1.

2. Solution attempt

For the first part, I used an epsilon-delta proof:

For all epsilon > 0 there exists 0<delta=epsilon/3 s.t. |x-x0|<eps/3 implies |f(x)-f(x0)|<eps. Checking for both important pieces of f, this works.

Then I computed f_t(x,t) = { 1/sqrt(t) for sqrt(t) <= x <= 2sqrt(t), and 0 elsewhere}. I do not understand how f_t(x,0) then is equal to 0 for all x since it would seem that for x = 0 we have f_t(0,0) = 1/sqrt(0) = ??

Then the last part... the piecewise-ness of this fxn makes it extremely difficult to conceptualize and get a general g(t), so I'm guessing I should double integrate over -1/4 to 1/4 for t and -1 to 1 for x. Does this make sense?

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook