Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Music Theory for Engineers/Scientists

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    Basically, I'm looking for learning resources (preferably books) that are kind of like the title of the thread. I'd like to find a book that teaches intermediate-advanced musical theory from a more mathematical and/or physics perspective than normal music theory books. I've played various instruments since grade 4, so I know some basic theory, but I'd like to learn more, and my course on Fourier transforms has got me wondering if this could be accomplished through a more mathematical approach. Does anyone know of any good resources like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2011 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  4. Jun 26, 2011 #3
    Those are great resources, thanks, I'll definitely check them out. Unfortunately, as you said, they're not quite what I'm looking for.

5. Jun 26, 2011 #4
    On the Sensations of Tone - Hermann Helmholtz
    Genesis of a Music - Harry Partch

6. Jun 27, 2011 #5
  7. Jun 27, 2011 #6

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jun 27, 2011 #7
    You might want to look at HST725 from MIT open courseware. Check the recommended books in the library. Hope this helps.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook