Where can i find a list of multiple valences?

In summary, valence in chemistry refers to the number of bonds an atom can form with other atoms, determined by the number of electrons in its outermost energy level. This number can vary depending on the element, with most atoms having between 1 to 8 valences. Transition metals can have multiple valences depending on the reaction. To determine the valence of an atom, one can look at its position on the periodic table and the number of electrons in its outermost energy level.
supernova1203
For instance lead has 2 valences it says here +2 and +4 is there some place i can find a refference of all multiple valence elements(they tend to be transition metals) i found one on wikipedia. but it only gives one of the valences, not both or several.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot! That'll make life much easier :) :)

1. Where can I find a list of multiple valences?

You can find a list of multiple valences on various chemistry websites, such as the Royal Society of Chemistry or ChemSpider. You can also consult chemistry textbooks or reference books for a comprehensive list.

2. What is a valence in chemistry?

In chemistry, valence refers to the number of bonds an atom can form with other atoms. It is determined by the number of electrons in the outermost energy level of an atom.

3. How many valences can an atom have?

The number of valences an atom can have varies depending on the element. Generally, atoms can have between 1 to 8 valences. For example, carbon has 4 valences while nitrogen has 5 valences.

4. Can an atom have multiple valences?

Yes, an atom can have multiple valences. This is often seen in transition metals, where they can have different valences depending on the reaction they are involved in.

5. How do I determine the valence of an atom?

The valence of an atom can be determined by looking at its position on the periodic table and the number of electrons in its outermost energy level. The group number of the element corresponds to the number of valences it has. For example, elements in group 1 have 1 valence, while elements in group 14 have 4 valences.