Mutual Inductance between two conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a circuit and the calculation of inductance and voltage. The person is unsure if they have approached the problem correctly and asks for help. They also mention their calculations for parts (a) and (b) and the potential effect of mutual inductance.
Jason-Li
Homework Statement
The mutual inductance between two circuits as shown is 0.2 μH.
It may be assumed that (R1 + RL1) >> ωL1 and that (R2 + RL2) >>ωL2.

(a) Estimate the crosstalk voltage at the load of circuit B when the signal
source of circuit A is V1 = 1 V at 1 GHz.

(b) Plot the crosstalk voltage (at the load of circuit B) as a function of
frequency.
Relevant Equations
(R1 + RL1) >> ωL1 and (R2 + RL2) >>ωL2.
1622463823984.png

Hello hope everyone at PF are keeping well!

Looking at this problem but don't know if I have oversimplified it and my final answer doesn't seem right?
So I drew the equivalent circuit:

1622462669994.png
1622462622905.png

Then went onto calculate:
I1 = 1/(R1+RL1) = 0.01A
ω = 2πf = 2π*109 rads-1
so then with Vi being the inducted voltage:
Vi = jω * M * I1 = 2π*109 * 0.2*10-6*0.01 = 12.566V This seems a bit high?

I also did the classic ohms law and did VL2 = Vi / (R2+RL2) * R2 = 9.643V to get the answer for (a)? I am really unsure if I have approached this correctly, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Then for part (b) I was just going to plot a straight line as the function is
Vi= jω*M*I1 I would change this to
Vi = (2π*M*I1)*f which is the same as y=mx ?

Attachments

• 1622463823950.png
    1622463823950.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 99
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the primary current is flowing through M, which has a large reactance. So I1 = V1/omega M (approx).

tech99 said:
I think the primary current is flowing through M, which has a large reactance. So I1 = V1/omega M (approx).

I think as it's mutual inductance current I1 won't be altered by M, but will effect M?

I have calculated I1 and then from that I can calculate the mutual inducted voltage?

1. What is mutual inductance between two conductors?

Mutual inductance is a measure of the ability of two conductors to induce a voltage in each other. It occurs when the magnetic field produced by one conductor passes through the other conductor, causing a change in the magnetic flux and inducing a voltage.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance can be calculated using the formula M = k * (N1 * N2 * A / l), where M is the mutual inductance, k is the coupling coefficient, N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the two conductors, A is the area of the overlapping region, and l is the length of the overlapping region.

3. What factors affect mutual inductance?

The factors that affect mutual inductance include the number of turns in the conductors, the area of the overlapping region, the distance between the conductors, and the permeability of the materials used.

4. How does mutual inductance affect circuit behavior?

Mutual inductance can cause changes in the current and voltage in a circuit. When the magnetic field of one conductor changes, it can induce a voltage in the other conductor, which can affect the overall behavior of the circuit.

5. Can mutual inductance be used in practical applications?

Yes, mutual inductance is used in many practical applications such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in wireless power transfer and inductive charging systems.