Mutual Inductance between Two Solenoids

In summary, mutual inductance is a property that relates the turns and flux in two coils, and does not depend on the current. It can be calculated using the formula: M per unit length = μo*n1*n2*pi*(r2)^2. This property remains the same for all three scenarios: current through Coil 1, current through Coil 2, or currents through both coils simultaneously. For more information, refer to the link provided by MIT.
derek88
Friends:

I would like to verify my understanding of mutual induction.

Coil 1: n1 turns per unit length, radius is r1, has a current I1
Coil 2: n2 turns per unit length, radius is r2, has a current I2 (in the same direction as I1)

r1 > r2. Coil 2 is inserted inside Coil 1. What is the mutual inductance (per unit length)?

I believe it is: M per unit length = μo*n1*n2*pi*(r2)^2

I think that the mutual inductance is the same for any of the following three scenarios:
1) Current I1 through Coil 1 only
2) Current I2 through Coil 2 only
3) Current I1 through Coil 1 and Current I2 through Coil 2 at the same time.

Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is mutual inductance between two solenoids?

Mutual inductance between two solenoids is a phenomenon in which a changing current in one solenoid induces a current in the other solenoid, resulting in a magnetic field being created between the two solenoids.

2. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect mutual inductance?

The number of turns in a solenoid has a direct impact on mutual inductance. As the number of turns increases, the strength of the magnetic field between the two solenoids also increases, resulting in a higher mutual inductance.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of mutual inductance between two solenoids?

The magnitude of mutual inductance between two solenoids is affected by the distance between the coils, the number of turns in each coil, the cross-sectional area of the coils, and the permeability of the medium between the coils.

4. Can mutual inductance be negative?

No, mutual inductance cannot be negative. It is a measure of the relationship between two coils, and a negative value would indicate a repulsive force between the two coils, which is not possible in this scenario.

5. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated using the formula M = k * (N1 * N2) * A / d, where k is a constant, N1 and N2 are the number of turns in each coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the coils, and d is the distance between the coils.