1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutual inductance in a circuit.

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive TEC between terminals "ab".

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured I'd add the mutual inductances to the inductors, and solve it as a normal RLC circuit, since no current is passing through the 80j coil, it's inductance wouldn't change. The 50j coil becomes an 80j coil (50j + 30j) and the 40j coil becomes a 70j coil (40j + 30j). Setting the voltage source to zero yields a thevenin resistance of -60 + 60j and KVL yields to a Thevenin voltage of 9 + 41j volts. However the answer says Rth = 60 + 60j and Vth = 9 + 51j. Can anyone help me identify where I went wrong? Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

• pf1.png
      pf1.png
      File size:
      6.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all you will have to explain the question. What does TEC stand for?

Where do you take into account the capacitor?

AM

4. Nov 21, 2013 #3
    TEC stands for Thevenin Equivalent Circuit, and the capacitor does not undergo mutual inductance, so I use its phasor form to find the equivalent thevenin resistance like I would with a resistor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted