Mutual Inductance of two coaxial coils

In summary: Secondly, there are no numerical values in my question. what i understand from the question is that i have to find and expression for the mutual inductance using L1 and L2 only.The relevant equation i wrote down might be in insufficient, and maybe I'm missing something..
razidan

Homework Statement

Two coils of the same length and almost the same cross-section are put one inside the other.
Find their mutual inductance if the self-inductances are
mimetex.gif
and
mimetex.gif

Homework Equations

1) [itex] \phi_i=L_i I_i [/itex]
2) [itex]\phi=\iint_A \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{A} [/itex]
3) [itex] \phi_1=M_{12} I_2 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've tried working with the equations, substituting one into the other in order to get something that looks like equation 3) but I can't seem to get it...
Thanks,

R

Physics news on Phys.org
scottdave said:
Are those the equations that you have to start from? You may find this useful. http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Mutual-inductance-calculator.php

After reading that, how do you think the fluxes are coupled between the coils in your situation?

One more thing - your title mentions "coaxial" coils, but it doesn't seem that is really what you are asking about.

If one coil is put inside the other, and have the same cross section, are they not coaxial?! Meaning, having the same axis?

razidan said:
If one coil is put inside the other, and have the same cross section, are they not coaxial?! Meaning, having the same axis?
OK. I see your use of the terminology. It made me think of coax style cable, though.

scottdave said:
OK. I see your use of the terminology. It made me think of coax style cable, though.
Thanks for the response.
I did read the link you sent me but I can't see how I can use that information.
All i am given are the self inductances of the coils. So i know how to relate between the current flowing through one and the going through it (the same coil).
I tried writing the flux of coil 1 as something that is proportional to the current in coil 2 (and so the proportionality constant will be the mutual inductance). but i know I'm doing something wrong, because everything cancels out and I'm left with [itex] \Phi_1 = L_2 I_1 [/itex], which, I am pretty sure is not the right answer.

haruspex said:
A useful-looking equation is given at that link. All you need is a value for the coupling coeffcient, no?
No.
Firstly, from what i can tell, the geometry of the problem is very different. in the problem i posted, the coils are one inside the other. in the link, they are next to each other.
Secondly, there are no numerical values in my question. what i understand from the question is that i have to find and expression for the mutual inductance using L1 and L2 only.
The relevant equation i wrote down might be in insufficient, and maybe I'm missing something..

scottdave said:
Funny how I referenced the same MIT course doc at about the same time?
Thanks, that definitely helps.

razidan said:
No.
Firstly, from what i can tell, the geometry of the problem is very different. in the problem i posted, the coils are one inside the other. in the link, they are next to each other.
Sure, but that just changes the coupling coefficient. As I posted, that is the only thing extra you need.

What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a phenomenon in which a change in current in one coil induces a voltage in another nearby coil. It is a measure of how much magnetic flux is linked between the two coils.

How do two coaxial coils affect mutual inductance?

When two coils are coaxial, meaning they share the same axis, the magnetic flux is concentrated in a smaller area and therefore the mutual inductance is stronger. This is because the coils are closer together and have more shared magnetic field lines.

What factors affect the mutual inductance of two coaxial coils?

The factors that affect mutual inductance include the number of turns in each coil, the distance between the coils, the relative orientations of the coils, and the material of the coils.

How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance can be calculated using the formula M = (N1 * N2 * μ * A) / l, where N1 and N2 are the number of turns in each coil, μ is the permeability constant of the medium between the coils, A is the cross-sectional area of the coils, and l is the distance between the coils.

What are some real-world applications of mutual inductance of two coaxial coils?

Mutual inductance is commonly used in transformers and inductors for power transmission and electronic devices. It is also used in wireless power transfer systems, magnetic sensors, and inductive charging systems for electric vehicles.