MY BIGGEST PROBLEM in capacitance

In summary, the question asks about the voltage across each capacitor in a parallel combination of three capacitors that have been disconnected from a 36V potential difference and then reconnected in parallel. To solve this, you need to find the resultant capacitance of the parallel combination and use the relationship between capacitance, charge, and voltage to determine the voltage across each capacitor.
meLzee

Homework Statement

THREE CAPACITORS HAVING CAPACITANCE 8.4 F, 8.4 F, 4.2 F ARE CONNECTED IN SERIES ACROSS A 36 V POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE. THE CAPACITORS ARE DISCONNECTED FROM THE POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE WITHOUT ALLOWING THEM TO DISCHARGE. THEY ARE THEN RECONNECTED IN PARALLEL WITH EACH OTHER, WITH THE POSITIVELY CHARGED PLATES CONNECTED TOGETHER. WHAT IS THE VOLTAGE ACROSS EACH CAPACITOR IN PARALLEL COMBINATION?

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS. THANX.

Physics news on Phys.org
meLzee said:

Homework Statement

THREE CAPACITORS HAVING CAPACITANCE 8.4 F, 8.4 F, 4.2 F ARE CONNECTED IN SERIES ACROSS A 36 V POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE. THE CAPACITORS ARE DISCONNECTED FROM THE POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE WITHOUT ALLOWING THEM TO DISCHARGE. THEY ARE THEN RECONNECTED IN PARALLEL WITH EACH OTHER, WITH THE POSITIVELY CHARGED PLATES CONNECTED TOGETHER. WHAT IS THE VOLTAGE ACROSS EACH CAPACITOR IN PARALLEL COMBINATION?

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS. THANX.
What work have you done so far? Can you write the relationship between C, Q and V? How do you determine C for three capacitors in series? In parallel?

AM

C = Q/V

i got confused on how to solve their own voltages. i mean is the total voltage when they are connected in series. the same as when they are connected then in parallel?

When three capacitors are connect in series, what is the resultant capacitance of the combination? In the series combination, each capacitor has the same charge.
When they are connected in parallel, you know the total charge. You can find the resultant capacity of the parallel combination. From that you can find the common voltage.

1. What is capacitance and how does it affect my problem?

Capacitance is the ability of a material or system to store electrical charge. In terms of your problem, capacitance can affect the flow of electricity and the ability of a system to hold a charge.

2. How can I calculate or measure capacitance?

Capacitance can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage. It can also be measured using a capacitance meter or multimeter.

3. What are some common problems with capacitance and how can I solve them?

Common problems with capacitance include unwanted interference in electrical circuits and the inability to hold a charge. These can be solved by using shielding techniques, using materials with higher dielectric constants, and using capacitors with higher capacitance values.

4. How does the size and shape of a capacitor affect its capacitance?

The size and shape of a capacitor can greatly affect its capacitance. Capacitance is directly proportional to the surface area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them. Therefore, larger plates and a smaller distance between them will result in a higher capacitance.

5. Can capacitance be increased or decreased?

Yes, capacitance can be increased or decreased by changing the physical parameters of a capacitor, such as the size, shape, and distance between plates. It can also be increased by adding more capacitors in parallel or decreased by adding them in series.