My class schedule, question about Circuit Analysis

In summary, the per-requistes for the course is just calc 2 and concurrency of physics 2. If you do circuit analysis in the time domain for RLC circuits then you'll encounter a linear differential equation.
Windowmaker
Calculus 3
Physics 2
US History and the World
Circuit Analysis

I seen my friends struggle in Calculus 3, only to realize it was because of a poor foundation in the previous Calcs. They said Physics 2 was harder than 1 but more enjoyable in the lab. The history class is what i expect from any history class. My question is circuit analysis, has anyone had this class or know someone who had it? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first course in Circuit Analysis is quite easy. Its very systematic in solving things. You take a circuit and apply KVL/KCL rules which result in a system of equations which you can solve using whichever method you like best. You'll learn some other tricks and such to maybe simplify this process for some circuits. If you have capacitors and inductors you'll end up with a system of linear differential equations. There are tricks to deal with this as well (phasor analysis which uses complex numbers) and integral transformations which you probably won't see in the first course of circuit analysis.

The hardest part is being neat and not missing tiny mistakes and to develop an intuition to reduce the amount of work you have to do.

Is it kinda like Network Flow problems from Linear Algebra, but with circuits?

Circuit analysis might be difficult before you've had differential equations, but if you work at it and pay attention, you will probably be fine.

The per-requistes for the course is just calc 2 and concurrency of physics 2. Why would I need to know differential equations?

Windowmaker said:
The per-requistes for the course is just calc 2 and concurrency of physics 2. Why would I need to know differential equations?

Laplace transforms come up a lot, and you will be solving second order ODEs when you encounter RLC circuits. That being said, if the prereqs don't demand it, the class is probably fairly self contained. I took Circuits after I was exposed to Diff Eqs, and it made the class very easy and understandable.

Interesting, guess I'll have to hit the books then!

If you do circuit analysis in the time domain for RLC circuits then you'll encounter a linear differential equation. The good thing is that there will only be 2 forms of this equations and the method of solving them is pretty simple and could be taught easily.

Laplace and Fourier Analysis is usually seen first in differential equation class but my circuit analysis courses taught them as if you've never seen them before. If you're class doesn't require the prereq I wouldn't worry about it (Mind did and I wouldn't call it a significant advantage).

I'm unfamillar with what a network flow problem is but wikipedia says "Flows can pertain to people or material over transportation networks, or to electricity over electrical distribution systems. For any such physical network, the flow coming into any intermediate node needs to equal the flow going out of that node. This conservation constraint was formalized as Kirchhoff's current law."

...so yea ^_^ (my linear algebra class had basic circuits as application problems)

Ok, well I've had a taste of what circuit analysis is going to be. I'm glad that the DE part will be taught as if we never seen it before, because I think I seen some DE stuff in my calculus book, but never covered it in depth.

Thanks for your reply!

1. What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of studying and understanding electrical circuits. It involves using mathematical tools and techniques to analyze the behavior of electrical components and systems.

2. Why is circuit analysis important?

Circuit analysis is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of electrical circuits and make informed decisions about their design and operation. It also helps us troubleshoot and diagnose problems in circuits.

3. What topics are typically covered in a circuit analysis class?

A circuit analysis class typically covers topics such as Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, network theorems, circuit analysis techniques (such as nodal and mesh analysis), and frequency response of circuits.

4. What skills are necessary for success in a circuit analysis class?

Success in a circuit analysis class requires a strong background in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It also requires critical thinking skills and the ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems.

5. How can I prepare for a circuit analysis class?

To prepare for a circuit analysis class, it is helpful to review basic algebra and trigonometry concepts. Familiarizing yourself with electrical components and their symbols can also be beneficial. Additionally, practicing problem-solving skills and seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, can help you prepare for the class.