1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My lost dream of being a mathematician

1. Jun 21, 2014 #1
    Hello
    I respect all of you
    I'm a computer programmer from Egypt
    When I finished my high school, I wanted to join the faculty of science math department
    My father refused because he has a private hospital and wanted me to be a doctor
    So I joined the faculty of medicine that I hated more than any thing else, obligated
    It is 6 years
    After the second year, I refused the situation and left their house and got rid of their
    money, deciding to follow my dream, that has superior power over me
    Imagine what happened in Egypt
    The employees refused to give me the permission to change "Your father has to agree"
    "He's your father and knows your life more than you"
    "He's to decide for you"
    It didn't do any thing when I shouted or cried "This is the law"
    Right now, I want to be a mathematician
    What do you think I can do, without a teacher?
    Right now, I finished my computer institute and I'm a programmer
    Thank you very much
    Hatem Al-Naggar

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 21, 2014 #3
    Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Its sad to hear what happened with you. Often parents overdo their guidance to put our life in order which results in more disorder. But at least they do it with good intention.

Unfortunately I don't think it is possible to become a self taught mathematician (specially on higher level) without any institutional guidance. Of course you can get a lot of help from internet and it is certainly possible to learn a lot without direct contact with teachers. But the main problem would be to keep up the motivation. Seriously.
    Also an academic atmosphere is very necessary.

It would be best if you can convince your parents. But if that's really impossible then perhaps by aiming to be a mathematician (presumably a professional level mathematician) all by yourself, you are choosing a really really hard path.
    It may seem that I am too negative here. Anyway if you really have nothing to loose, and you are so determined, perhaps give it a go!

You told that you are now a computer programmer. I think people here can give you better suggestions if you mention what your current mathematical background is.

Goodluck.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  5. Jun 21, 2014 #4
    Disagree.

Slightly outdated, but:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Green

"Green's life story is remarkable in that he was almost entirely self-taught. He received only about one year of formal schooling as a child, between the ages of 8 and 9."

6. Jun 21, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Got any recent example?

7. Jun 21, 2014 #6
    Also, according to that wikipedia cited, he did have institutional guidance even though he accomplished before it.

8. Jun 21, 2014 #7

Rolen

Gold Member

He's an exceptions, we cannot count on be an exceptions.
    But, OP, I also came from a rigid family, probably not as rigid as yours. My father wanted me to be an engineer because I'm good with math, but I decided to be a physicist despite the low paying jobs and the amount of time I have to dedicate to get a 'real' job. But I talked to him and said that I'll be able to get the job eventually and I will have a good future.
    Your father is probably concern with your future, but you can show him that being a mathematician can give you financial security.

Talking about being a self thought mathematician is simply impossible, unless your a genius and even they go to college. You must have your undergrad degree to get to grad school to get your PhD and be a proper mathematician.

9. Jun 21, 2014 #8
    With regards to being a self-taught mathematician, I argue that most of a mathematicians knowledge in their field comes from self-teaching through reading books and, more so, papers. It's really just independence in a way, and it can be done earlier, though it's more difficult.

10. Jun 21, 2014 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, and almost all of these have done an undergrad and grad in a university and have had research guidance with a established researcher. I do not know any (recent) counterexample to this.

11. Jun 21, 2014 #10
    With absolutely no offense to OP, though it's possible but certainly not probable and hence not sensible to assume that a future George Green or Friedrich Gauss (who is said to have learned to calculate before he could talk) has made a post here.

But if it's so, by the way, I guess we all are very lucky. Because this thread will be very famous then!!! :cool:

(Though as a PF member, I would say if there is or will ever be an online forum from which one George Green can come out, that forum would be Physics Forums :biggrin:)

OP, the last word is, do what your heart desires. No one is intentionally discouraging you here, but just sharing opinions.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  12. Jun 21, 2014 #11

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

13. Jun 21, 2014 #12
    Alternatively, ask someone with sufficient knowledge to teach you. This has happened before.

14. Jun 21, 2014 #13
    Ed Witten, while obviously learning a decent bit of mathematics through physics, was not a mathematics major or anything of the like. He probably took something like calculus, differential equations, probability and statistics, differential geometry, linear algebra, a bit of analysis, and a bit of algebra, but that's hardly enough to have the basis for winning the Fields Medal. Sure, there aren't any big time modern mathematicians that I know of who didn't go to college in some field related to mathematics, but I'm sure there are some small-time ones out there, and it should also be noted that you really don't get that much guidance in college. Most of what you learn you have to teach yourself. Sure, you can go in during office hours and the like, but many do not take advantage of this (many don't even ask questions) and instead rely on their own abilities to self-teach after being presented with the necessary material.

It is, of course, easier to receive some help, but it isn't impossible to be an autodidact with abilities and knowledge comparable to a mathematician.

15. Jun 21, 2014 #14
    It's possible but just not probable.
    IMHO OP should be encouraged to try for formal education in Mathematics. That's the best way to success both academically and professionally.
    Only if eventually that doesn't happen, then self learning can be an option for someone too inclined.

16. Jun 21, 2014 #15
    He worked on and earned a PhD in physics studying under an accomplished physicist. He spent years studying and working on mathematical physics in an academic setting before winning that prize.

17. Jun 21, 2014 #16

Well yes, but mathematical physics is not mathematics. It is uncommon that a mathematician or chemist wins the Nobel Prize in physics, just as it is uncommon that a physicist wins the Fields Medal. Sure, you can learn a good bit through physics, but he obviously needed to learn a lot of mathematics on his own.

It wasn't supposed to be a perfect example fitting the description of the autodidactic mathematician.

18. Jun 21, 2014 #17
    Its an example that even with a non-traditional background a formal education is the way to go if you want to be a professional in a field. Suggesting otherwise to the original poster does him or her a disservice. Ed Witten did have a basis for winning the Fields Medal, a basis he developed in his university education and beyond.

19. Jun 21, 2014 #18
    I'm not saying one should not try to get a formal education in math, I'm just saying it isn't a requirement to understand modern mathematics or even do research.

I think it's also important to note than many of the great mathematicians who have a formal education came into classes having already known a lot about the classes they were taking, sometimes even knowing everything about the classes.

20. Jun 21, 2014 #19
    Saying that is not helpful to the original poster. The chances of becoming a "mathematician", as in getting paid to do mathematics, is very, very slim without a formal education of some sort. You might as well suggest the lottery as a retirement plan.

21. Jun 21, 2014 #20
    Unfortunately, this post is very true. Nowadays it's very important to have all sorts of documents certifying what you "can" do. As much as it is entirely possible to learn everything about Mathematics that is taught in a University at home, studying at home nets the person with zero number of documents that "prove" the abilities of that person.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook