My mental illness symptoms as a child

• Medical
  • Thread starter Forestman
  • Start date
This is changing the direction of the thread a little bit, but I felt it was something that I needed to say. Even though my dad was crappy to me as a child. I still love him. He has changed a lot since I was a child and has mellowed out a lot too. Personally I think that he has bipolar as well, and that is one reason why he would feel such extreme anger towards me when I was young. I could not make it without the help of my father, so he has done good things in his later life.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who have showed support to me in this thread.

I makes me very happy. :smile:

Lichdar
I was diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder, in the sociopathy subset ever since I was 8. However, I fail to see how it has made me any less functional in any way, however, and feel that my material success shows that the idea that it is actually a "disorder" to be a bit silly.

If it was such a disorder in need of treatment, it should exhibit itself in negative consequences for myself, but such have not been swift to materialize: My socioeconomic and educational status is above parity for my age, and I have all of the other common markers of success.

I do think a lot of what defines a sociopath is wrong, though, or at least feels wrong - things such as our supposed lack of morality or inability to love, to name two. We might not feel love the same as others, but we can still value people. Our moral code has little to do with compassion or empathy, but myself and others who like myself that I've met generally had some strongly internalized rules of right and wrong. It usually did have a strong element of might makes right, admittedly, but that in itself is a rule, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
What a strange and complex world, it is to a child. Its a wonder any of us, make it to adulthood. The people I have known, with disorders as a child, have had remarkable coping skills. These are very smart people, many who have found/developed, their own perfect learning methods.

Thanks for sharing, continued success to all.

If it was such a disorder in need of treatment, it should exhibit itself in negative consequences for myself, but such have not been swift to materialize: My socioeconomic and educational status is above parity for my age, and I have all of the other common markers of success.

I do think a lot of what defines a sociopath is wrong, though, or at least feels wrong - things such as our supposed lack of morality or inability to love, to name two. We might not feel love the same as others, but we can still value people. Our moral code has little to do with compassion or empathy, but myself and others who like myself that I've met generally had some strongly internalized rules of right and wrong. It usually did have a strong element of might makes right, admittedly, but that in itself is rule, no?

Those internalized rules; are they the rules of the games people play where there are winners and losers and the devil take the hindmost? It sounds like you're a good fit for Wall Street. You should be able get a good job at Goldman-Sachs if you're not there already.

Lichdar
There /are/ winners and losers: a statement of fact, not of opinion. And therefore it logically predicates that one should try to move toward the winners and avoid being associated with the losers to maximize the gain of oneself and one's in-group.

I do work in the finance sector.