Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My priorities to buy a Mac notebook

1. Dec 31, 2014 #1
    Why I'd like to buy a Mac (currently desired level/10)

1. To learn about Mac (7/10 - the rest 3/10 is due to my time limited - I have to work on a project that I am almost being drowned at present)
    2. To Port program code from Windows and test them (3/10 - because I know I only do this whenever I feel like doing so, maybe rarely)
    3. To Learn XCode at free time (5/10 - I would really love to but I almost have no free time and even when I become free, video games keeps twirling in my mind, can't get it out of my head. I think humans need relax and enjoy life, so go head hit the game door!)
    4. Mac is stylish and beautiful (2/10 I am not really into this as owning one also costs me $$$ but I still can get one via part payments :DD at 0% interest per month).

I don't want to spend a thousand dollars and more on something that isn't offering me back anything fruitful. Sure, 4 points I enlisted are on top "at the moment", I still need a lot more straight and practical advice from you though. If you have any, please go ahead; I am really thankful!

Happy New Year! May your upcoming year 2015 be filled with all the best. :angel:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

I have found Fedora linux enlightening. I chose linux over expensive copyright OS for its frugality and openness to change.

4. Dec 31, 2014 #3
    I wanted to buy a MacAir model 2014, are they going to publish a new 2015 model ?

5. Jan 1, 2015 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Check http://buyersguide.macrumors.com to see if a model is likely due for an imminent update.

6. Jan 5, 2015 #5
    That sounds like kind a good reasons to NOT buy one in the end. Because
    1. You don't have much time to use it anyways. So it's a big waste of money!!!
    2. It is for the stylish whose professional field is not much IT related e.g coding. :DD (i.e sales managers, business directors, story writers, smart and rich CEOs :D etc)

7. Jan 5, 2015 #6
    Thanks buddy. Your are really like my soulmate. :D Enjoy your holidays!

8. Jan 6, 2015 #7

harborsparrow

Gold Member

On eBay, you can buy a very low cost original Intel Mac. It won't run the latest MacOS, but the differences in OS versions are not that great. I have one of those original Intel Macs which I use for just the purposes you describe (i.e., testing multiple-platform applications). You can get one for $100 to $300. Good enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook