Mysterious Equations in Childrens TV Program

• Thread starter Mako Ruu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, The equations in the background of a cartoon were thrown in for depth, but don't actually do anything) I still wanted to post in case anyone was curious.
Mako Ruu
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

But I was watching a cartoon with my niece the other day. And I saw that in the background one of the characters was doing some mathematical equations on a black board. And I noticed some jargen that didn't make sense.

I thought nothing of it, until I saw it again in a later episode.

Is there any legitimacy to the equations? If so, what do they mean or represent?

I noticed in one equation a symbol from Euclidean Geometry.

I'm pretty sure it's just the animators throwing something in the show to make the world seem deeper.

Quantummechanicsequation.jpg

Quantummechanicsequation002.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]\int[/itex] symbol is the symbol for an integral -- an operation from calculus.

The [itex]\sum[/itex] symbol represents a summation, in this case one with an infinite number of terms.

These are both operators that are supposed to ACT on something, but in this case there is nothing written to the right of them to act on. So the symbols are real but they are not being applied in a meaningful way here, just thrown in randomly.

[itex] \nabla [/itex] is a gradient operator, also from calculus.

"n= 0" is the only equation on the board. The rest are just disjointed mathematical symbols.

That's what I had originally thought. Some clever artist surfed wiki and found some interesting looking symbols to throw in there for depth.

Thank you very much for your posts.

Yep
That stuff always annoys me.
Then again, I usually assume that most people know what calculus is or at least have some kind of intuitive feel of what [itex]\frac{df}{dx}[/itex] means.. I'm still always shocked when I hear people say that they aren't good at maths :(

Also, that second equation doesn't make much sense..
Assuming D is a scalar function [itex]\nabla D[/itex] is a vector and Eu is a directed line segment or a vector, division by a vector is nonsense.

They shouldn't be teaching this to todays youth!
(Or todays neckbeards who also watch it)

genericusrnme said:
Yep
That stuff always annoys me.
Then again, I usually assume that most people know what calculus is or at least have some kind of intuitive feel of what [itex]\frac{df}{dx}[/itex] means.. I'm still always shocked when I hear people say that they aren't good at maths :(

Most? Relatively few people learn calculus, at least in the US. It's not required for high school graduation, so usually only honors studentsvand those college-bound for science or math majors take it. Many don't take any more than algebra 2, even when college-bound.

genericusrnme said:
They're not. It's a cartoon.

They're no more "teaching" math than they are "teaching" that talking ponies can juggle plates and wear pink bows.

I'm a brony, so I've seen every episode of this show at least once. Ever since I first got into it, I wondered about what was going on teaching complicated math that didn't seem to mean anything to ponies who seemed to be the same age as third graders. Now I know.

DMTMH said:
I'm a brony,

I could have lived a full and complete life without ever having found out what that is. :tongue2:

I told my girlfriend she couldn't have my baby unless she took calculus

DaveC426913 said:
They're not. It's a cartoon.

They're no more "teaching" math than they are "teaching" that talking ponies can juggle plates and wear pink bows.

If you ask me, the people who made the teletubbies were taking LSD.

Uh oh!

DaveC426913 said:

Wait...you mean they can't?!

Ponies that talk can do all kinds of things

genericusrnme said:
(Or todays neckbeards who also watch it)

More importantly, why is this childrens-show pony smoking?
Quantummechanicsequation.jpg

Also, you raise a good question about the general awareness of calculus. I wonder what percentage of the population are even aware of what the topic is, other than "some math junk".

Pythagorean said:
I told my girlfriend she couldn't have my baby unless she took calculus

Dude, I'd dump my girlfriend right there and then if she couldn't even drop and give me 20 derivatives of Cos(x)
That's if I had one of course :uhh:

it is also unhealthy to write with a chalk in your mouth

Pretty sure it's a doobie. How else could it wear that gettup?

LOL, maybe this thread should be retitled: Equations in Mysterious Children's TV Program.

@genericusrnme - It was just a TV show. As I stated in my original post, I was watching it with my niece and just thought it odd.

@Moonbear - Only in public high schools. All the good schools require calculus to graduate.

@DMTMH - Welcome to the herd.

@DaveC426913 - LolDave.

@Pythagorean - My we inquire as to what her reply was?

@QuarkCharmer - It's a piece of chalk, friendo.

@cepheid - I see what you did there...

Even though everyone answered my questions so well, (and I thank you for it), I think that someone should ask a mod to lock this thread due to the **** storm it's created.

Mako Ruu said:
Even though everyone answered my questions so well, (and I thank you for it), I think that someone should ask a mod to lock this thread due to the **** storm it's created.
Don't worry about it. It's not uncommon for threads to get answered in the first post or two but remain open due to being entertaining, even if they start to drift off-topic. This one falls in the category of 'not hurting anyone'.

Mako, I was kidding. : )

She had already taken calculus long before she over got pregnant.

cepheid said:
LOL, maybe this thread should be retitled: Equations in Mysterious Children's TV Program.

But there aren't any equations in the picture...

Expressions in Mysterious Children's and Neckbeards' TV Program, maybe?

Not just children and neckbeards, but apparently female college students too. My girlfriend and most if not all of her friends love the show

SHISHKABOB said:
Not just children and neckbeards, but apparently female college students too. My girlfriend and most if not all of her friends love the show

Oh god..
Looks like I won't be dating any of my fellow students anytime soon then :tongue2:

Mako Ruu said:
@Moonbear - Only in public high schools. All the good schools require calculus to graduate.

That's pretty arrogant to assume public schools are not good schools. I can assure you that I attended a public school that was so good we had students come back from the best prep school in the state because they were bored there and their parents realized it was a mistake to send them out of the public school. Secondly, if your private school was so good, you'd understand that far more students attend public schools than private schools, so even if all private schools required calculus to graduate, that still would not be "most" as you initially asserted and I refuted.

1. What are "Mysterious Equations" in children's TV programs?

Mysterious Equations in children's TV programs refer to complex mathematical equations that are often portrayed as magical or mysterious in order to engage and entertain young viewers. These equations may not have any real-world applications or may be overly simplified for the purpose of the show.

2. Do these equations have any scientific basis?

In most cases, these equations are purely fictional and do not have any scientific basis. They are created for the purpose of storytelling and do not reflect real mathematical concepts or principles.

3. Can children actually learn from these equations?

While these equations may spark an interest in math and science for some children, they should not be used as a primary source of education. It is important for children to learn math and science from reliable and accurate sources, such as textbooks and educational programs.

4. Why are mysterious equations used in children's TV programs?

Mysterious equations are used in children's TV programs as a way to make math and science more exciting and engaging for young viewers. They can also help to create a sense of wonder and imagination, which can be beneficial for children's cognitive development.

5. Are there any potential negative effects of portraying equations as mysterious in children's TV programs?

Some experts argue that portraying equations as mysterious in children's TV programs may perpetuate the idea that math and science are too difficult or boring for children to understand. It is important for children to have a positive attitude towards these subjects in order to excel in them later in life.