Naming of diazo compound which is correct?

• Thread starter desmond iking
  • Start date
In summary, diazo compounds are a class of organic compounds that contain a diazo group and are commonly used in the synthesis of dyes and pharmaceuticals. They are named using the prefix "diazene-" followed by the name of the parent compound, and the IUPAC has established a specific naming convention for them. Multiple diazo groups can be present in a compound, with each group named using a numerical prefix. To ensure correct naming, it is best to follow the IUPAC convention and double-check the structure and functional groups present in the compound.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

the product of reaction should be named as
4-hydroxyazobenzene OR 4-hydroxyphenyl azobenzene? i have 2 books . both give different name ... which is correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

it should be 4-hydroxyphenyl azobenzene in my opinion. Am i correct?https://www.flickr.com/photos/110120795@N06/15277006675/in/photostream/

Attachments

• IMG_20140918_192547[1].jpg
    IMG_20140918_192547[1].jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
desmond iking said:
which is correct?
desmond iking said:
4-hydroxyphenyl azobenzene in my opinion.
Correct.

1. What is a diazo compound?

A diazo compound is a class of organic compounds that contain a diazo group, which is a nitrogen atom double-bonded to a carbon atom with a positive charge. These compounds are commonly used in the synthesis of dyes and pharmaceuticals.

2. How are diazo compounds named?

Diazo compounds are named using the prefix "diazene-" followed by the name of the parent compound. For example, the diazo compound derived from benzene would be named diazenebenzene. If the parent compound is a complex molecule, the diazo group is named as a substituent using the prefix "azo-" followed by the name of the parent compound.

3. Is there a specific naming convention for diazo compounds?

Yes, the IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) has established a specific naming convention for diazo compounds. This convention is based on the structure and functional groups present in the compound and follows a systematic approach to ensure consistent and unambiguous naming.

4. Can a diazo compound have more than one diazo group?

Yes, a diazo compound can have multiple diazo groups. In this case, the prefix "diazene-" is used for each diazo group, followed by a numerical prefix to indicate the position of the group on the parent compound. For example, a compound with two diazo groups attached to a benzene ring would be named 1,2-diazenebenzene.

5. How do I know if I have named a diazo compound correctly?

The best way to ensure that you have named a diazo compound correctly is to follow the IUPAC naming convention and to double-check the structure and functional groups present in the compound. It is also helpful to consult a reliable reference or ask a colleague for confirmation.