Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nanoparticles and nanoparticle cream

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    I was wondering...if this cream would work for my mom/me/anyone...I've heard that inhaling nanoparticles can be bad for your lungs/circulatory system although maybe I misunderstood what I read I only glanced at the words about nanoparticles being dangerous...is it possible this cream would actually work well or is it crap? I mean it sounded sort of technological/cool, but sometimes when Im depressed I get stupid so I was wondering if there would be any advantages to using this cream, if it would actually help with wrinkles etc. Normally I'm just like "whatever" to creams but

http://www.bimene.com/about.asp

this is where I found it advertised...I guess they are separate companies?

http://www.telomolecular.com/about_us.asp

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, a moisturizer can help if you have dry skin, but don't expect anything special about any products that make all these great claims. Usually, if you look closely at the "before and after" photos, you'll notice all the differences are due to things like different lighting, some makeup, squinting vs a more relaxed facial expression, or frowning vs smiling.

You are correct that inhaling nanoparticles can be very dangerous for the lungs. This is an active area of research for occupational exposures.

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    But the nanoparticles are delivering the collagen more effectively than any normal cream could?
    With the nanoparticle technology isn't it possible that it could very effectively get rid of wrinkles and stuff? Or should I not expect the cream to be that great? (for my mom for example) did you see the before & after photos? It didn't look like they just used lighting etc to get that effect

they say

For the first time very large proteins like collagen "can" be delivered into the skin, inside the cells, and within the delicate matrices that makeup its layers, with a special nanotechnology we developed for delivering anti-aging proteins to the organs of mice.
    "We are confident that collagen has never been delivered into cells in a beauty product. Lack of collagen is one of the fundamental differences between aged and young skin and bĭm·ə·nē™ is the only effective tool for cosmetically adding collagen to your cells where it can be utilized to form structures and connections. The result is youthfulness.

Do you think it would reverse wrinkles like in the before and after pic on the website?

"
    By injecting collagen doctors may temporarily repair wrinkles by making the skin fuller, however, this is painful and does not really address the aging and wrinkling of your skin because the collagen is not added to the interior of your cells or deposited properly on the surface of cells where it belongs. Instead, injected collagen becomes a mass under your skin that can stretch the skin further making your wrinkles more pronounced as the collagen degrades. bĭm·ə·nē™ adds collagen into your cells and onto the surface of your cells in such a way that the collagen can be used properly by the cell to form structures and make the skin more interconnected and tensile. This is beauty. "

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  5. Mar 29, 2008 #4
    I think you might be guilty here of buying into the propaganda. Why does it matter if - assuming the claim is true - the "pentapeptides"/nanoparticles/magic x formula are delivered into the skin more effectively, what actual effect does this have. At the end of the day skin may be visibly improved, may feel more flexible, but there really is no difference between any other face cream and the most expensive hyaluronic acid preps on the market. They all do the same thing. I think the phrase "hope in a jar" sums it up rather well.

This is a good article about skin creams I read recently from The Times newspaper.

Skin cream claims branded waffle.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  6. Mar 30, 2008 #5
    I was quite interested in this discussion because I do research with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide nanoparticles, which are found in cosmetics and sunscreen. Besides being harmful to your circulatory system, they are also hazardous to skin cells. I've tested these nanoparticles mainly on keratinocytes and sometimes dermal fibroblasts, which are both found on the epidermis layer of the skin, and the zinc oxide nanoparticles especially have shown to be extremely hazardous to the cells. It's interesting how these companies that are trying to promote healthy skin are actually putting in nanoparticles which pose a threat to cells. If the nanoparticles have an antioxidant coating, however, this can help prevent some damage to cells.

7. Mar 31, 2008 #6
    Could nanoparticles be used to combat antioxident damage, ie could they be used just for that purpose and if so how efficiently, when they have an antioxidant coating?

8. Mar 31, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please re-read the post by newyork. S/he is stating that the nanoparticles CAUSE the damage, and the antioxidant coating only serves to protect from SOME (not necessarily all) of the damage they are causing. Net effect...more harm than good.

And, consider the risks you're exposing the workers making these cosmetics to...while you're getting this in a cream to smear on your skin, they're working with the nanoparticles BEFORE adding them to the cream, which is the inhalation hazard discussed above.

To put it simply, do not expect advertisements to be factual...they are intended to sell a product and make the company money, not teach science. This is especially true in the cosmetics industry. Consider it this way...if there was a real scientific basis for what they are doing, and it actually benefitted the skin in a safe and reliable way, they wouldn't be selling it as a cosmetic, they'd be getting it approved as a drug and selling it through prescriptions by dermatologists.

9. Mar 31, 2008 #8
    that's what I thought they were saying but I wasnt sure...I didn't want to miss knowing that nanoparticles could help combat free radical problems if they could...although it seems like they'd cause potential problems whatever they were used for at the moment anyway, and that they wouldn't help with the free radical problem so

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?