Non-Viral Nanoparticle Gene therapy

In summary: So not all cells would have the same correct bases)In summary, according to the Telomolecular article, nanoparticle gene therapy has a lot of downsides, but they are still looking into non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy as a possible way to treat gene therapy. They have been able to treat lung cancer with nanoparticles via IV, and theoretically, non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy could be used to do any gene therapy. There is no way to do gene removal in adults, but it is possible to remove genes in embryos.
bioquest
I was wondering if this is usable in humans right now http://www.telomolecular.com/nanocircles.asp or why it couldn't be

I was also wondering...viral gene therapy has a lot of downsides so they're looking at non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy...they've been able to use nanoparticles via IV to people to treat lung cancer...theoretically could you use non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy to do any gene therapy? and to get to any place in the body? What percentage of cells could it get to what places could/couldn't it get to? Is there anyone here who actually works with nanoparticle gene therapy, ie in lab animals or with human gene therapy?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I don't see an edit post button for some reason..
I mean I know the nanoparticles would have to have an oxidative coating...I talked to my friend whose studied molecular biology at university for a long time and she really couldn't provide any info on it...so that's why I wanted to talk to someone who was in the field of studying nanoparticles/gene therapy/using them

Um ignore the other two posts, I was just wondering, every cell in your body contains identical DNA right? So even though there are base mismatches that can occur (let's say for some reason a high amount occurs in an organism) isn't it possible to know the correct base of every cell without being able to view the insides of the cells since all genes in every cell are the same?

Also my friend said no to this next question but I wasn't sure if that was the answer so I wanted to get a second opinion: Is it possible to remove genes in an adult organism- if not why? (ie with a virus or something) What are the ways this can be done in an embryo? I don't think it's possible to remove genes in an adult organism but I still wanted those answers better known in my head so if someone can provide answers to those..thanks. (This is in regards to viral or non viral gene stuff)

bioquest said:
every cell in your body contains identical DNA right?
Not exactly, try reading up on Methylation for one type of modification.

bioquest said:
Also my friend said no
Listen to your friend.

What are the methods they can use to remove genes in embryos (Other than through breeding) So just to verify..there is no way to do gene removal in adults?

Also just to verify...so not all cells would have the same correct bases ie in brain cells? (ie if it wasn't for mismatched bases)
(Aside from things that could be altered to not exist like DNA methylation, although I don't know maybe that can't be removed, I just read though that
DNA methylation is a type of chemical modification of DNA that can be inherited and subsequently removed without changing the original DNA sequence.

1. What is non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy?

Non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy is a type of gene therapy that uses tiny particles made of biocompatible materials to deliver therapeutic genes into cells. Unlike viral gene therapy, which uses viruses to carry genes, non-viral nanoparticles are man-made and do not carry the risk of causing an immune response.

2. How does non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy work?

In non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy, the nanoparticles are loaded with therapeutic genes and then delivered into the body, where they are taken up by cells. Once inside the cells, the nanoparticles release the genes, which can then be expressed and produce the desired therapeutic effect.

3. What are the potential benefits of non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy?

Non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy has several potential benefits, including a lower risk of immune response compared to viral gene therapy, the ability to target specific cell types, and the potential for repeated dosing if needed.

4. What are the challenges of using non-viral nanoparticles for gene therapy?

One of the main challenges of non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy is achieving efficient delivery of the therapeutic genes into cells. Additionally, the nanoparticles must be designed to be stable and biocompatible, as well as capable of safely reaching the target cells.

5. What are some current applications of non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy?

Non-viral nanoparticle gene therapy is being studied for a variety of applications, including treating genetic disorders, cancer, and infectious diseases. It is also being explored as a potential way to deliver therapeutic genes to specific tissues or organs, such as the brain or lungs.