Nanoseconds and Time for Light to Travel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
Dsingh
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The problem asks how many nanoseconds does it take for light to travel 1km in a vacuu?

Homework Equations


I know that 1KM is equal to 1000 meters or 10^3. I also know that 1ns is equal to 10^-9s and light travels at about .3m per ns.


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure where to start with this problem. I know I have to convert the two givens but I am stuck at where to start. I started to think that I could divide the .3m per ns by 10^9 and then multiply it by 10^3. If someone could help me figure out how to start this problem and a push in the right direction that would be highly appreciated. Thanx in advanced.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You probably remember:
distance = velocity x time

so

time = distance/velocity.

for constant velocity. So use that.
You can always get the right relation by considering the units on both sides if you don't see it right away.