Time dilation for a simple problem — Light propagating inside a moving bus

In summary, the problem involves an inside observer seeing light travel a distance of d0 meters in t0 seconds at a speed of c m/s, a bus moving Δd meters in t1 seconds at V m/s, and an outside observer seeing light travel a distance of d1 meters in t1 seconds at a speed of c m/s. The external observer must take into account the Lorentz contraction of the distance d0, resulting in a total distance of d1 = d0/γ + Δd. The equations t' = t = x' = x = 0 and x' = d1, t' = d1/c can then be used to solve for t1 in terms of t0, resulting in
name
Homework Statement
Calculate the time it takes for the light to travel a straight line distance d1 in a bus moving at a constant velocity V as observed by an external observer.
Relevant Equations
N/A derived below.
So I drew the problem and tried to derive t1 for an external observer by making the following assumptions.

1. Inside observer sees light travel a distance of d0 meters in t0 seconds at a speed of c m/s.
  2. Bus moved Δd meters in t1 seconds at V m/s.
  3. Outside observer sees light travel a distance of d1 meters in t1 seconds at a speed of c m/s.
1626443291455.png

I know this is incorrect but I don't see where the error is?

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The distance ##d_0## is the distance between the light source and the right end of the bus according to the observer inside the bus. What is this distance according to the external observer?

Likes name
A simple way of solving a problem like this is by direct application of the Lorentz Transformation.

Event 1: t' = t = x' =x =0

Event 2: ##x'=d_1##, ##t'=\frac{d_1}{c}##, ##\ x = ? ##, ##t = ?##

Likes name
TSny said:
The distance ##d_0## is the distance between the light source and the right end of the bus according to the observer inside the bus. What is this distance according to the external observer?
I have it as ##d_1## as per my assumptions which is the sum of ##d_0## and ##Δd##. Is that incorrect?
Chestermiller said:
A simple way of solving a problem like this is by direct application of the Lorentz Transformation.

Event 1: t' = t = x' =x =0

Event 2: ##x'=d_1##, ##t'=\frac{d_1}{c}##, ##\ x = ? ##, ##t = ?##

If ##x## the distance according to the external observer, then that would be ##d_1 = ct_0 + Vt_1##, no?

Last edited:
What does the Lorentz transformation give for this?

name said:
I have it as ##d_1## as per my assumptions which is the sum of ##d_0## and ##Δd##. Is that incorrect?
This is not quite correct. You defined ##d_0## as the distance between the light source and the front of the bus as measured by someone inside the bus. However, ##d_1## is a distance measured by the external observer. At any instant of time according to the external observer, the distance between the light source and the front of the bus is not ##d_0##.

Imagine that there is a stick inside of the bus that moves with the bus. The stick extends between the light source and the front of the bus. For observers inside the bus, the stick is at rest and is measured to have a length ##d_0##. For the external observer, the stick is in motion. What is the length of the stick according to the external observer?

Likes name
$$t=\gamma(t'+V\frac{x'}{c^2})$$
$$x=\gamma(x'+Vt')$$

Likes name
TSny said:
Imagine that there is a stick inside of the bus that moves with the bus. The stick extends between the light source and the front of the bus. For observers inside the bus, the stick is at rest and is measured to have a length ##d_0##. For the external observer, the stick is in motion. What is the length of the stick according to the external observer?
I don't think that this "stick" approach is going to work, because one event occurs at x' = 0 at t' = 0, and the second event occurs at x' = ##d_1## at time t' = ##d_1/c##.

Chestermiller said:
I don't think that this "stick" approach is going to work, because one event occurs at x' = 0 at t' = 0, and the second event occurs at x' = ##d_1## at time t' = ##d_1/c##.
I find that both approaches yield the same answer. Using the Lorentz transformation equations makes it easy. I wanted to show the OP where they made their mistake.

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
I find that both approaches yield the same answer. Using the Lorentz transformation equations makes it easy. I wanted to show the OP where they made their mistake.
I'd be interested in seeing your answer. Private communication?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Thank you guys, I really appreciate the time both of you have taken to respond.

Just a bit of background on this question and why I was confused. I started by trying to derive time dilation equation by drawing the typical example of a bus moving at a constant speed V with the light source starting from the bottom and propagating vertically instead of horizontally as my initial example in this thread.

Using simple trig, I was able to derive the time an external observer would observe (see attached)
$$t = \gamma * t_0$$.

While I was aware of the Lorenz Transformation, no where in my derivation did I really have to "think" about it.

I thought I could do the same with the light source propagating in the x direction this time. It's obviously trickier than I thought as it seems like I was also neglecting length contraction, so my assumption of total distance being equal to d0 + Δd was completely wrong.

Attachments

• time dilation .jpg
    time dilation .jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 70
Likes PeroK
Here's a question. If there is length contraction in the direction of motion, how can you rule out length contraction in a direction at right-angles to the motion?

name said:
I thought I could do the same with the light source propagating in the x direction this time. It's obviously trickier than I thought as it seems like I was also neglecting length contraction, so my assumption of total distance being equal to d0 + Δd was completely wrong.
The only mistake you made when you set up ##d_1 = d_0 + \Delta d## was that you didn't take into account that the distance ##d_0## is Lorentz contracted to ##d_0/\gamma## in the ground frame. So, you should of written $$d_1 = \frac{d_0}{\gamma} + \Delta d$$ Then make your substitutions ##d_1 = ct_1##, ##d_0 = ct_0##, and ##\Delta d = vt_1##. What do you get when you solve for ##t_1## in terms of ##t_0##?

1. How does time dilation occur when light is propagating inside a moving bus?

Time dilation occurs due to the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. When light is propagating inside a moving bus, the speed of light remains constant for all observers, but time appears to pass slower for the observer inside the bus compared to an observer outside the bus.

2. Why does time appear to pass slower for the observer inside the moving bus?

This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant and the observer inside the bus is moving at a high speed relative to the observer outside the bus. This causes a difference in the perception of time between the two observers, with time appearing to pass slower for the observer inside the bus.

3. Does time dilation only occur in moving objects?

No, time dilation can occur in any situation where there is a difference in relative velocity between two observers. This can include moving objects, but also objects in different gravitational fields or even objects moving at different speeds in the same location.

4. How is time dilation measured in this scenario?

In this scenario, time dilation can be measured by comparing the time elapsed for the observer inside the bus to the time elapsed for the observer outside the bus. This can be done using precise clocks or by observing the behavior of particles that decay at a constant rate.

5. Is time dilation a significant effect in everyday life?

In most everyday situations, the effects of time dilation are too small to be noticeable. However, it is a fundamental aspect of the laws of physics and is important to consider in certain situations, such as in high-speed travel or in the study of subatomic particles.