Nanotechnology and medicine is fascinating

• Medical
  • Thread starter larkspur
  • Start date
I find nanotechnology and medicine fascinating.
I read this article today and thought I would pass it along.

http://www.revophth.com/index.asp?page=1_13901.htm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Very interesting! Thanks for the pointer. The end of the first paragraph in this excerpt is especially interesting:

Nanoceria was first developed by Sudipta Seal, an engineering professor who conducts research at the University of Central Florida’s Advanced Materials Processing and Analysis Center (Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering), and the Nanoscience Technology Center, in Orlando, Fla. Professor Seal says the properties of nanoceria first became evident when he was testing it for biocompatibility. “In our early studies using rat brain cells in vitro, we were testing to make sure nanoceria wasn’t toxic,” he explains. “To our surprise, we found the brain cells were living longer, and their function was preserved. We’ve also published a study that showed nanoceria can revive spinal cord cells after injury.”1,2

It appears that nanoceria’s benefits stem from its ability to scavenge free oxygen radicals inside the cells. “Cells generate a lot of reactive oxygen species—superoxide radicals, hydroxy peroxide radicals, and so forth—which damage the cell,” says Professor Seal. “This particle scavenges the radicals, preventing further damage, and then regenerates itself so it continues to scavenge radicals over and over again. And, nanoceria seems to have an inherent tendency to move to the locations where excess reactive oxygen species are present.”3,4

Thanks larkspur, I'm going to keep my eye on this one.

Very interesting! Thanks for the pointer. The end of the first paragraph in this excerpt is especially interesting:

Thanks larkspur, I'm going to keep my eye on this one.

You are welcome!