Nanotechnology: Physics or Engineering?

In summary, the individual is currently in their 4th semester at a community college and is considering transferring to either U.Va or Virginia Tech for in-state tuition. They are trying to decide between a Physics major and an Engineering major with a Materials Science specialization. They initially declared themselves as an Engineering major but have since discovered a passion for Physics. They are interested in pursuing Nanotechnology but are unsure if they should get an Engineering or Physics degree. The individual is advised to choose the field they are most interested in, as Nanotechnology is a combination of multiple fields, and to not be swayed by the "magical effect" of the word "nano."
opprobe
Hey guys!

So here's my situation. I am now in my 4th semester at a community college. I am looking to transfer to either U.Va or Virginia Tech for in-state tuition. I am also choosing between a Physics major and an Engineering major (probably Materials Science specialization).

I initially declared myself as an Engineering major. However, while I was taking classes at my college, I have noticed that I thoroughly enjoyed my Physics courses. I am aware that I only breached the surface of Physics by taking only the first two introductory courses but those courses were the only courses offered at my school.

I currently have my eyes set on Nanotechnology. I am assuming the best way to pursue Nanotechnology is to go with an Engineering degree. However, I really like the sound of getting a Physics degree. With Virginia Tech, their Engineering program is great but I heard their Physics program was abysmal. I'm assuming that U.Va would be the better choice if I were going to pursue a Physics degree.

So basically the question is: Would it better if I got an Engineering degree and go to Virginia Tech or should I aspire to acquire a Physics degree and attend U.Va for the ultimate goal of pursuing the Nanotechnology field? Or should I even consider reconsidering Nanotechnology?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should reconsider considering nanotechnology, since its basically a buzzword covering the fields of engineering, physics, chemistry & biology [and not to forget, materials science]. So you can approach it from any of those fields.

Bare in mind that all the stuff that has "nano" in it, is a normal evolution of science and NOT a revolution.
So just go for the field you like most.

You might also be interested in: http://nanohub.org/resources/coursesp.s. the 'nano' word has some magical effect on the general public.

physiker_192 said:
You should reconsider considering nanotechnology, since its basically a buzzword covering the fields of engineering, physics, chemistry & biology [and not to forget, materials science]. So you can approach it from any of those fields.

Bare in mind that all the stuff that has "nano" in it, is a normal evolution of science and NOT a revolution.
So just go for the field you like most.

You might also be interested in: http://nanohub.org/resources/courses

p.s. the 'nano' word has some magical effect on the general public.

I see, thanks - I will keep that in mind.

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the branch of science and engineering that deals with the manipulation of matter on a nanoscale, typically between 1-100 nanometers in size. It involves designing, creating, and using materials and devices at the molecular and atomic level.

2. Is nanotechnology a branch of physics or engineering?

Nanotechnology is a multidisciplinary field that incorporates concepts from both physics and engineering. It involves the use of principles from physics, such as quantum mechanics and thermodynamics, to design and create new materials and devices. However, it also relies on engineering principles to manufacture and manipulate these materials on a nanoscale.

3. What are the potential applications of nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology has a wide range of potential applications in various fields, including medicine, electronics, energy production, and environmental remediation. Some examples include targeted drug delivery, nanoelectronics, and the development of more efficient solar cells.

4. How does nanotechnology impact our daily lives?

Nanotechnology has already made significant contributions to our daily lives, such as in the development of smaller and faster electronics, more durable and lightweight materials, and more effective medical treatments. It also has the potential to improve many aspects of our lives, from food production to environmental sustainability.

5. What are the potential risks and ethical concerns associated with nanotechnology?

While nanotechnology has numerous potential benefits, there are also some potential risks and ethical concerns that need to be addressed. These include the potential toxicity of nanoparticles, the impact on the environment, and the potential for misuse of nanotechnology in weapons or surveillance. It is important for scientists and policymakers to carefully consider these concerns and implement appropriate safety measures and regulations.