Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Gas from Methane Hydrate Formations

1. Jun 24, 2006 #1
    I am very interested in the economic production of natural gas from sub-sea methane hydrate formations. This development could have a huge impact on the worlds energy supply, as it has been estimated that 80,000 times more hydrocarbon is stored in hydrate formations than all other proven reserves of oil and gas. Has anyone seen any research on the current status of economic and safe development of this technology?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 5, 2006 #3
    PRDan4th:

As a retired chemical engineer who contributes quite heavily to the Wikipedia, I would caution you to be very careful when reading technical articles in the Wikipedia. A great many of them are written by inexperienced undergraduate students who think they know certain subjects ... but, in truth, they are woefully inadequate and often full of errors.

I am sure that a Google search will result in tons of material about natural gas hydrates.

Milt Beychok
    (Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?