Natural Period of Vibration for Mass with Torque

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
adoado
Messages
71
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A body of arbitrary shape has a mass m, mass center at G with a distance of D and a radius of gyration about G of K. It is hanging, and pinned at the top. If it is displaced a slight amount of angle P from it's equilibrium position and released, determine the natural period of vibration.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Sum of Torques = Ia. Hence, I = K2m

The torque applied by gravity: -mgDSinP = K2ma

Hence, mgDSinP + K2ma = 0
By the small angle approximation..

mgDP + K2mP'' = 0

Is this correct so far? I am lost at what to do next,

Cheers,
Adrian
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just have to ask, you have not defined K so I'm not sure your derivation is correct.

Assuming it is correct, you just got your answer. HINT: Compare your final differential equation with the harmonic oscillator differential equation.

i.e.Compare
[itex] \ddot{x} + \omega^{2}x = 0[/itex]

with yours:

[itex] \ddot{P} + \frac{K^{2}}{g D} P = 0[/itex]
the rest is just identification.

Tell me if this was helpful, good luck.
 
Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for that! I am a little confused about how the K2 coefficient moved from the angular acceleration to the angle, though? ^^
 
Oh my bad, just a typo. Here's the good one:

[itex] P + \frac{K^{2}}{g D} \ddot{P} = 0[/itex]

Just got the P miced up with the P'' for a second.
 
Cheers, thanks for that, I got it! :)

Thanks very much for that, I appreciate your help
Adrian