How Do Attractive and Repulsive Electromagnetic Forces Combine in Contact Force?

In summary, friction is a force between surfaces that is not a push and its origin is electromagnetic.
rahaverhma
If friction is electromagnetically attractive force and the normal reaction is electromagnetically repulsive force which it obviously is. But how is it possible to have different type of force as the component of a single force i. e. Contact force over the nature of which I have got confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're getting lost in the weeds. They are all mechanical forces of things pushing on things.

phinds said:
I think you're getting lost in the weeds. They are all mechanical forces of things pushing on things.
But it's origin is electromagnetic. And friction does not push.

rahaverhma said:
If you have a bridge constructed of trusses, all members are in compression or in tension. No shear forces anywhere. Yet the bridge as a whole resists shear. Sometimes the whole is different than the parts.

rahaverhma said:
And friction does not push.
Yes, it does. It's two rough surfaces sliding over each other with small areas of each sticking into gaps in the other and the surface electrons repel each other. Think of two sawtooth waves "sliding" over each other.

Likes Dale
rahaverhma said:
Yes, it does. Surfaces are rough, and so they form little microscopic “hills” and “valleys”. Friction is one surface’s hills pushing on the other surface’s hills.

Edit: oh, I see that I really should have read the other responses. @phinds said the same thing but much faster!

phinds said:
Yes, it does. It's two rough surfaces sliding over each other with small areas of each sticking into gaps in the other and the surface electrons repel each other. Think of two sawtooth waves "sliding" over each other.
Yes, but as electrons are repelling each other at the molecular level. Similarly, the protons are attracting the electrons of other atoms too. So, u can't say for sure what will be the resultant force between the atoms I mean attractive or repulsive.

rahaverhma said:
So, u can't say for sure what will be the resultant force between the atoms I mean attractive or repulsive.
Please don’t use “u” as short for “you” or any other similar text speak shortcuts on this forum.

The resultant force can be calculated using Quantum Mechanics, but it is not simple and involves the Pauli exclusion principle as well as electrostatic and other effects.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the definition of contact force?

Contact force is a type of force that is exerted between two objects in direct physical contact with each other.

2. How is contact force different from non-contact force?

Contact force involves direct physical contact between two objects, while non-contact force does not require physical contact and can act over a distance.

3. What are some examples of contact force?

Some examples of contact force include friction, air resistance, tension, and applied force.

4. How does the magnitude of contact force affect an object?

The magnitude of contact force can affect an object by either causing it to accelerate or decelerate, or by changing its shape or state of motion.

5. How does the direction of contact force impact an object?

The direction of contact force can determine the motion of an object, as the force will act in the direction it is applied. It can also cause an object to rotate or change its orientation.