Necessary knowledge of standard model for string theorist

In summary, a typical string theorist needs to have a decent knowledge of the standard model, depending on what they're doing with it.
aran1234
I wasn't sure whether I should post this question in this category or "High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics", but I decided to post here, since I want to get opinions from the people who are studying the topics discussed in this category, not the experts on standard model or particle physics. I'm currently studying QFT with Peskin's text and the text by Deligne et. al. and going to study string theory after that. Since I'm also oriented to pure math, the time I can spend for studying standard model is limited. So, based on your experience, could you tell me how much knowledge in standard model a typical string theorist needs? This is a vague question, so could you tell me which of the following texts (1~4) I must read in addition to 5? If you have some recommendation regarding books on this field, could you tell me that?
  1. Quarks and Leptons by F. Halzen
  2. Heavy Quark Physics by A. Manohar
  3. QCD and Collider Physics by R. Ellis
  4. Dynamics of the Standard Model by J. Donoghue
  5. Lie Algebras In Particle Physics by H. Georgi

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is making me frown with perplexity, because I cannot figure out what your intellectual objective is. Do you want to study string theory just for the math?

Thanks for your reply. I'd like to study math as a mathematician and physics as a physicist. I believe I can do both, since the areas of math and physics which I'm interested are closely related to each other. I have all the prerequisite knowledge both in math and physics, so I want to study string theory and its related areas with the highest rigor. I want to study string theory not for math. Although the study of string theory contributed to development of a certain mathematical area, that's not the reason why I want to study string theory.

OK. Well, string theory is a big subject and how much knowledge of the standard model is employed, depends on what you're doing with it. If you're doing string phenomenology, you're basically doing particle physics, so properties of the standard model will constantly be relevant. If you're doing holographic QCD, you just need hadron physics. If you're studying quantum mechanics of black holes, or e.g. brane configurations which are clearly not our world, but which may be a testbed for calculation methods or conceptual insights - then you may not need the standard model at all.

Likes aran1234
I see. Then, since the prerequisite seems to be totally up to what I will specialize on, I will skim through some of the above literature for now, and then I will peruse the one which I will need for any paper or on my research. I appreciate your advice a lot!

1. What is the standard model in string theory?

The standard model in string theory is a theoretical framework that explains the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity and is often referred to as the "theory of everything."

2. Why is it necessary for string theorists to have a knowledge of the standard model?

String theory is built upon the foundation of the standard model, so a strong understanding of the standard model is necessary in order to fully grasp the concepts and predictions of string theory. It also provides a basis for comparison and testing of string theory against experimental data.

3. What are the key components of the standard model for string theorists to know?

The standard model includes three types of particles: quarks, leptons, and gauge bosons. Quarks and leptons make up all matter in the universe, while gauge bosons are responsible for the fundamental forces of nature. String theorists must also understand concepts such as symmetry breaking, mass, and charge in order to fully understand the standard model.

4. How does the standard model relate to other theories in physics?

The standard model is considered to be the most successful theory in particle physics, as it has been extensively tested and accurately predicted many experimental results. It also provides a basis for unifying the three fundamental forces (electromagnetic, weak, and strong) with the exception of gravity. Other theories, such as general relativity and supersymmetry, can be incorporated into the standard model to further explain the universe.

5. What are the current challenges and limitations of the standard model?

Although the standard model has been highly successful, it still has limitations and unanswered questions. It does not explain gravity or dark matter, and it also does not unify all fundamental forces. Additionally, there is no experimental evidence yet for the existence of some particles predicted by the standard model, such as the Higgs boson. These challenges have led to the development of theories such as string theory, which aims to address these limitations.