Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a list of good books from general to specialized topics

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    need a list of books for general reference for the future. currently a master level engineering student, I went through undergrad with some confusing books and I want to acquire some modern books on individual topics that are well received.

for specialized topics, I am in need of introductory or general approach books into these topics. I paid a trip to libraries and most of the books I found either require a lot of previous knowledge or are too old for current generation to understand.

here are a list of topics I am looking for

I think there's a good list of common recommendations and if you have it please post it here thanks.

mechanics:
    continuum mechanics
    fluid mechanics
    computational mechanics
    biomechanics

mathematics:
    numerical methods
    finite element
    smooth particle hydrodynamics

general college materials for personal references
    physics:
    general physics 1st year

mathematics:
    numerical analysis
    linear algebra
    calculus

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2
    bump, just looking for a list of reference books

4. Mar 16, 2012 #3
    For Fluid Mechanics I recommend Cengel, Cimbala, a good introductory book.

If you need something more "hardcore", then Batchelor's Introduction to Fluid Dynamics is your book. I would buy this book for future reference, because price is acceptable and it is considered "the bible" of fluids. I don't really understand how that book can be named "an introduction", cause it's far from just an introduction...

Should you need a book on fluid mechanics applied to compressible flow, then I strongly recommend Anderson's Modern Compressible Flow and Shapiro's Dynamics on Compressible Fluid Flow

I disrecommend White's Fluid Mechanics for being way too basic.

For Continuum Mechanics, well, I know this "Handbook of Continuum Mechanics" from the french Ecole Polytechnique. Excellent book, but I advise you that it's really "hardcore", and given the price (more than 300$) I wouldn't buy it unless I had to became a real expert on the topic.

For general physics, of course, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics". Also the "Berkeley Physics Course".

Linear Algebra -> "Hoffman, Kunze" or "Strang"

Calculus -> Knowing you are a graduate student (you already dealt with calculus some years ago) I recommend you go for the classic ones: Spivak and Apostol.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook