Need a list of good books from general to specialized topics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
muffinman123
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
need a list of books for general reference for the future. currently a master level engineering student, I went through undergrad with some confusing books and I want to acquire some modern books on individual topics that are well received.

for specialized topics, I am in need of introductory or general approach books into these topics. I paid a trip to libraries and most of the books I found either require a lot of previous knowledge or are too old for current generation to understand.

here are a list of topics I am looking for

I think there's a good list of common recommendations and if you have it please post it here thanks.

mechanics:
continuum mechanics
fluid mechanics
computational mechanics
biomechanics

mathematics:
numerical methods
finite element
smooth particle hydrodynamics

general college materials for personal references
physics:
general physics 1st year

mathematics:
numerical analysis
linear algebra
calculus
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump, just looking for a list of reference books
 
For Fluid Mechanics I recommend Cengel, Cimbala, a good introductory book.

If you need something more "hardcore", then Batchelor's Introduction to Fluid Dynamics is your book. I would buy this book for future reference, because price is acceptable and it is considered "the bible" of fluids. I don't really understand how that book can be named "an introduction", cause it's far from just an introduction...

Should you need a book on fluid mechanics applied to compressible flow, then I strongly recommend Anderson's Modern Compressible Flow and Shapiro's Dynamics on Compressible Fluid Flow

I disrecommend White's Fluid Mechanics for being way too basic.

For Continuum Mechanics, well, I know this "Handbook of Continuum Mechanics" from the french Ecole Polytechnique. Excellent book, but I advise you that it's really "hardcore", and given the price (more than 300$) I wouldn't buy it unless I had to became a real expert on the topic.

For general physics, of course, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics". Also the "Berkeley Physics Course".

Linear Algebra -> "Hoffman, Kunze" or "Strang"

Calculus -> Knowing you are a graduate student (you already dealt with calculus some years ago) I recommend you go for the classic ones: Spivak and Apostol.