Need a list of good books from general to specialized topics

In summary, the engineer is looking for modern books about individual topics that are well received. He is in need of introductory or general approach books into these topics. He recommends the "Handbook of Continuum Mechanics" and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics".
muffinman123
need a list of books for general reference for the future. currently a master level engineering student, I went through undergrad with some confusing books and I want to acquire some modern books on individual topics that are well received.

for specialized topics, I am in need of introductory or general approach books into these topics. I paid a trip to libraries and most of the books I found either require a lot of previous knowledge or are too old for current generation to understand.

here are a list of topics I am looking for

I think there's a good list of common recommendations and if you have it please post it here thanks.

mechanics:
continuum mechanics
fluid mechanics
computational mechanics
biomechanics

mathematics:
numerical methods
finite element
smooth particle hydrodynamics

general college materials for personal references
physics:
general physics 1st year

mathematics:
numerical analysis
linear algebra
calculus

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump, just looking for a list of reference books

For Fluid Mechanics I recommend Cengel, Cimbala, a good introductory book.

If you need something more "hardcore", then Batchelor's Introduction to Fluid Dynamics is your book. I would buy this book for future reference, because price is acceptable and it is considered "the bible" of fluids. I don't really understand how that book can be named "an introduction", cause it's far from just an introduction...

Should you need a book on fluid mechanics applied to compressible flow, then I strongly recommend Anderson's Modern Compressible Flow and Shapiro's Dynamics on Compressible Fluid Flow

I disrecommend White's Fluid Mechanics for being way too basic.

For Continuum Mechanics, well, I know this "Handbook of Continuum Mechanics" from the french Ecole Polytechnique. Excellent book, but I advise you that it's really "hardcore", and given the price (more than 300$) I wouldn't buy it unless I had to became a real expert on the topic.

For general physics, of course, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics". Also the "Berkeley Physics Course".

Linear Algebra -> "Hoffman, Kunze" or "Strang"

Calculus -> Knowing you are a graduate student (you already dealt with calculus some years ago) I recommend you go for the classic ones: Spivak and Apostol.

What does it mean to have a list of "good books from general to specialized topics"?

A list of "good books from general to specialized topics" typically refers to a curated collection of books that cover a wide range of subjects, starting with more broad and general topics and gradually becoming more specific and focused. This type of list can be useful for individuals looking to expand their knowledge in a particular field or for students seeking resources for a research project.

How do I determine if a book is considered "good"?

The definition of a "good" book may vary depending on personal preferences and individual criteria. However, some factors that are commonly used to determine the quality of a book include the author's expertise and credibility, the accuracy and reliability of the information presented, and the overall impact and relevance of the book in its respective field.

What are some examples of general topics that may be included in a list of good books?

General topics can encompass a wide range of subjects and can vary depending on the specific list and its purpose. Some examples of general topics that may be included are history, literature, philosophy, psychology, and economics. These topics typically cover broad concepts and may serve as a foundation for more specialized and specific subjects.

Can I find specialized topics in a list of good books?

Yes, a list of good books from general to specialized topics may include a variety of specialized subjects. As the list progresses from broader to more specific topics, readers can expect to find books that delve into niche areas and cover more in-depth and detailed information. Some examples of specialized topics that may be included are quantum physics, forensic psychology, evolutionary biology, and political economy.

How can I use a list of good books from general to specialized topics?

A list of good books from general to specialized topics can be used in various ways, depending on an individual's needs and interests. Some potential uses of such a list may include finding new reading material, conducting research on a particular subject, or expanding one's knowledge and understanding of a specific field. Additionally, educators may use these lists to recommend resources for their students or to develop a curriculum for a course.