Need a little help with this related rates problem

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help for a math problem and discussing their process and mistakes with another person. The conversation ends with the other person offering reassurance and encouragement.
MrDickinson
Can someone help me with this?
(dA/dt)=1cm/s (cm^2 whatever...leave out trivial corrections).
A=pir^2
(dA/dt)=2pir(dR/dt)
Multiply through by (1/2pir)
(dA/dt)/(2pir)=dR/Dt
What is the rate of change of the radius for a circumfrance of 2
I just used the related rates formula that I derived for dR/dt to find the derivative of of the radius and I get 1/2pi, the problem is that the answer is 1/2... gosh I suck at this. Can someone please help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved your thread to our homework section.
MrDickinson said:
(dA/dt)=1cm/s (cm^2 whatever...leave out trivial corrections).
Taking care of units allows to avoid many mistakes in homework problems.
MrDickinson said:
What is the rate of change of the radius for a circumfrance of 2
I just used the related rates formula that I derived for dR/dt to find the derivative of of the radius and I get 1/2pi, the problem is that the answer is 1/2... gosh I suck at this. Can someone please help me?
What did you get as value for r?

Likes MrDickinson
mfb said:
I moved your thread to our homework section.
Taking care of units allows to avoid many mistakes in homework problems.
What did you get as value for r?
Thanks. I understand the value of checking units, but in math they are useless. I understand where you are going though, as I once had a chemistry TA make the statement "numbers without units are useless" as in... I think he was getting at something like "math without application is useless." But for me, it turns out that they usually don't do anything other than tell me what I already know; namely, I am wrong.

I think I see where I went wrong... how stupid of me... I mean, I should feel shame and dishonor over this...

Last edited:
MrDickinson said:
... gosh I suck at this.

MrDickinson said:
I think I see where I went wrong... how stupid of me... I mean, I should feel shame and dishonor over this...

I think you might be a bit hard on yourself. You recognized that you needed help and sought it out from those who are likely to be more knowledgeable. No one got hurt, and no one died as a result of your failure in solving this math problem. In general as well, having the humility to recognize your mistakes and actively seek to correct them is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

Likes TomHart and Chestermiller
Tallus Bryne said:
I think you might be a bit hard on yourself. You recognized that you needed help and sought it out from those who are likely to be more knowledgeable. No one got hurt, and no one died as a result of your failure in solving this math problem. In general as well, having the humility to recognize your mistakes and actively seek to correct them is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.
Thank you.

1. What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one variable in relation to another variable, typically with respect to time. These types of problems often involve geometric figures and are commonly found in calculus and physics courses.

2. How do I approach a related rates problem?

The key to solving a related rates problem is to identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, use the given information and mathematical relationships to set up an equation and solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What are some common strategies for solving related rates problems?

Some common strategies for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, using the chain rule to find the derivative of the related rates, and setting up a proportion to solve for the unknown rate of change.

4. Can you provide an example of a related rates problem?

Sure! An example of a related rates problem could be: A rectangular swimming pool is being filled with water at a rate of 3 cubic feet per minute. The length of the pool is 20 feet and the width is 10 feet. How fast is the water level rising when the water is 5 feet deep?

5. How can I check if my answer to a related rates problem is correct?

The best way to check your answer is by plugging it back into the original equation and making sure it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also use calculus techniques, such as taking the derivative, to verify your solution.