Related Rates Problem: Solving for Volume Increase with Changing Sphere Radius

In summary, the group discussed the problem of finding the rate of change of volume with respect to time when the radius of a sphere is increasing at a rate of 4 cm/s. They used the formula A = 4πr^2 to find the rate of change of area with respect to time, which was then used to find the rate of change of volume using the formula dV/dt = A dr/dt. After discussing their results, they realized that they had used the wrong formula at first but corrected it to find the correct answer.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Hey guys,

I want to make sure I am on the right track with this problem:

The radius of a sphere is increasing at a rate of 4 cm/s. How fast is the volume increasing when the radius is 40 cm? (Recall the formula relating the area A and radius r of a sphere: A = 4πr^2.)

So, I use the equation A=4πr^2
I take the derivate with respect to time.

dA/dt = 4π*2r*dr/dt
Simplifying : dA/dt = 8π*r*dr/dt

Inputing radius of 40cm for variable r and inputting rate of 4cm/s for variable "dr/dt" The answer becomes

dA/dt = 1280π cm^2/sec

The answer seems to make sense (units). This just seems too... easy for me. In class we were doing a bit more difficult problems.

Does everything check out?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
Hey guys,

I want to make sure I am on the right track with this problem:

The radius of a sphere is increasing at a rate of 4 cm/s. How fast is the volume increasing when the radius is 40 cm? (Recall the formula relating the area A and radius r of a sphere: A = 4πr^2.)

So, I use the equation A=4πr^2
I take the derivate with respect to time.

dA/dt = 4π*2r*dr/dt
Simplifying : dA/dt = 8π*r*dr/dt

Inputing radius of 40cm for variable r and inputting rate of 4cm/s for variable "dr/dt" The answer becomes

dA/dt = 1280π cm^2/sec

The answer seems to make sense (units). This just seems too... easy for me. In class we were doing a bit more difficult problems.

Does everything check out?

Thanks.

Everything except you either stated or worked the wrong problem. You asked how fast the volume is changing, not the surface area. But your work is correct for the area and you would work the volume problem similarly.

Likes 1 person
Oh, I see! That would be incredibly important.

I am not sure if the instructor meant to do this, or misused an equation. Either way, I will discuss it with him.

Anyway, V=4/3π*r^3

dV/dt = 4/3π*3r^2*dr/dt

plugging in 40 for r and 4 for dr/dt

The answer becomes 25600π cm^2/sec

Quite a large answer.

Thank you for verifying my previous work/efforts.

RJLiberator said:
Oh, I see! That would be incredibly important.

I am not sure if the instructor meant to do this, or misused an equation. Either way, I will discuss it with him.

Anyway, V=4/3π*r^3

dV/dt = 4/3π*3r^2*dr/dt

plugging in 40 for r and 4 for dr/dt

The answer becomes 25600π cm^2/sec

Quite a large answer.

Thank you for verifying my previous work/efforts.

Are you sure about those units?

Likes 1 person
Well,

The radius is increasing at 4cm/s
The radius is 40 cm
Aha.

The radius is squared so it becomes cm^3.

Volume should be in cubed units.

Ah. I love it, such a tiny error could throw off the problem. One of the beauties of mathematics :D.

Thank you... once again. =)

RJLiberator said:
dV/dt = 4/3π*3r^2*dr/dt

You can still "use" the area to find the more beautiful relation
$$
\frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{4\pi}{3} 3r^2 \frac{dr}{dt} = 4\pi r^2 \frac{dr}{dt} = A \frac{dr}{dt}
$$

Depending on what was being considered in the particular part of the book, this may even have been the intended way of solving the problem (in particular if the problem is in a part treating rotational volumes and computing the volume of a sphere by summing infinitesimal shells, i.e., integrating):
The radius increases by dr in the infinitesimal time dt. Thus, a spherical shell with radius r and thickness dr is added to the volume in time dt. The volume of said shell is A dr, thus resulting in dV/dt = A dr/dt.

What is a related rates question?

A related rates question is a type of problem in calculus that involves finding the rate at which one quantity changes in relation to another quantity.

How do you solve a related rates question?

To solve a related rates question, you must first identify the changing quantities and their rates of change. Then, you can use calculus techniques such as differentiation and implicit differentiation to set up an equation and solve for the desired rate of change.

What are some common real-world examples of related rates?

Some common examples of related rates in the real world include the rate at which the water level in a swimming pool changes as it is being filled, the rate at which the shadow of a building changes as the sun moves, and the rate at which the distance between two moving objects changes.

What is the importance of related rates in science?

Related rates are important in science because they allow us to understand and predict how quantities change in relation to one another. This is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics where the rate of change of various quantities is constantly being analyzed and utilized.

What are some common mistakes made when solving related rates questions?

Some common mistakes when solving related rates questions include not properly identifying the changing quantities and their rates of change, incorrectly setting up the equation, and not considering all relevant information. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and to double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.