Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a name!

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We have a relatively new resident, a Nephila clavipes, living outside our house. She's been there all summer long. She wasn't all that big when I first saw her a couple months ago, but now -- this image is just about right (source: wikipedia):

800px-Nephila_clavipes_perspective.JPG

Yesterday she was snackin' on a good-sized lizard that must have fallen out of the tree below which she is currently nesting. That's not all that good (those lizards are great pest control), but normally she snacks on critters I would rather not have around such as mosquitos and wood roaches.

Any suggestions for a name (not that she'll respond to it, of course)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2
    I wish we had spiders like that in the UK, she's beautiful. Best one I've seen all summer is a 1.5inch house spider.

(I shan't comment on the lite beer, I'm just surprised someone who drinks it would get close to a spider that size... :biggrin:)

4. Sep 26, 2010 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The markings on her abdo look like dew on a can of Miller Lite.

Millie! :smile:

5. Sep 26, 2010 #4
    Nice, I like it!

6. Sep 26, 2010 #5

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Doris.

7. Sep 26, 2010 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Did you say Boris?

8. Sep 26, 2010 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about Holy Crap, because that's what I'd say every time I saw her.

9. Sep 26, 2010 #8

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

She's very beautiful! I used to see them a lot around Houston particular in garden areas.

You could name her mate Morris, or Marvin.

10. Sep 26, 2010 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This one has been seen in UK, and from what I read it is getting more and more common:

Argiope_bruennichi.jpg

Definitely smaller, body size around half an inch.

11. Sep 26, 2010 #10
    My garden is infested with spiders between 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch in length, they have some lovely markings. I'd just like to see something a bit bigger, the tiddlers we currently have aren't exactly awe inspiring.

12. Sep 26, 2010 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Have toddlers? Toss one into a web. Wait a few weeks.

13. Sep 26, 2010 #12

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Chiquita.

[URL]http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/1014000/1014228_2fea_625x1000.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  14. Sep 26, 2010 #13
    Toddler? As in kids?

Tiddler - as in really small.

Don't know whether I've miss-understood what you said or you misread me. Didn't stop me spitting coke over my laptop because of what you wrote though.

Borg I thought that was real then :grumpy:

15. Sep 26, 2010 #14
  16. Sep 26, 2010 #15
    How about just "Nephi".
    Nephila clavipes

17. Sep 26, 2010 #16
    How about "The thing that'll kill your family in its sleep.' :surprised"

*Shudder*

Ok Ok... umm... Todesengel (or Tod for short)... means "angel of death" in German.

Or... ansatsusha no tokage (Lizard Assassin) (and Ana for short) in Japanese?

Otherwise: Charlotte.

18. Sep 26, 2010 #17
    Are you saying the spider dreams of killing DH's family? :biggrin:

19. Sep 26, 2010 #18
    Yes. Yes I am. Androids dream of electric sheep and that big ****er is dreaming of eating D H. No doubt we'll see no posts, become worried, and they'll find him wrapped in silk and sucked dry. :tongue2:

20. Sep 26, 2010 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Peter Parker

ooh, you said a she...

Patty Parker

21. Sep 26, 2010 #20

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

When I was trying to come up with a name for DH's spider, I found that the common name for the spider is a banana spider. When I searched for pictures to verify that it was the same type, I saw that one and just couldn't resist posting it. :biggrin:

22. Sep 26, 2010 #21
    From Wikipedia:

"The venom of the golden silk orb-weaver is potent but not lethal to humans. It has a neurotoxic effect similar to that of the black widow spider; however, its venom is not nearly as powerful. The bite causes local pain, redness, and blisters that normally disappear within a 24-hour interval. In rare cases, it might trigger allergic reactions and result in respiratory troubles (in asthmatics) or fast-acting involuntary muscle cramps. As the genus possesses relatively strong chelicera, the bite could leave a scar on hard tissue (such as fingers)."

Think you could get a close-up of her fangs? Just how good are those digital cameras anyway?

23. Sep 26, 2010 #22

:surprised:

Oh man... I am so glad that buggers don't live near me.

24. Sep 26, 2010 #23

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jimmy is a nice name.

25. Sep 26, 2010 #24
    For a girl? (or did we assume it's female?)

26. Sep 26, 2010 #25

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

She's a she. The males are tiny in comparison. She's had a mate - and like some females of our species, she ate him alive.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook